New Nitro - Z21 XL - Factory Option for Lithium

Hey Don,

I see on the Nitro website that the Tracker branded Relion lithium's are an option from the manufacturer for the newly announced Z21 XL. Is Mercury changing their stance on lithium batteries for the 4S engines? I can't see how this could be allowed by Mercury since they clearly state AGM is required.

Z21 XL - 2022 NITRO Bass Boat
    BATTERIES & BATTERY CHARGERS

1 TRACKERŪ Lithium WRM100-HP starting battery & 2 WRM80-HP trolling batteries (for 24V system) $1995
    1 TRACKERŪ Lithium WRM100-HP starting battery & 3 WRM80-HP trolling batteries (for 36V system) $2850

2. Member
    I have a legal background. This might effectively prevent a warranty denial on the fact of using a lithium battery alone. Mercury willingly selling to a manufacturer who offers this creates presedent and acceptance of such practices. Now they could do so in other ways by claiming the battery itself was faulty making a nasty legal run around but this opens a big door. I think it was a precarious stance before given the Mercury sponsored lithium users anyway but certainly opens the question more.
    2018 Phoenix 920 / Mercury 250R

I do believe it's not the electricity that's the problem, so no warranty denial( unless the specific issue can be caused by the battery), but it is the bms battery management system that controls the power and can disconnect itself. This is probably where mercury wants out of any reason to accept responsibility. There are many batteries out there and some probably are ok but others not so much. Can you imagine running 73mph trimmed up and all of a sudden the motor cuts out and the bow drops and hooks? Or some models have electric steering and they stop steering? Wrmg taking on some responsibility with "factory installed options" but they are going to make a bunch of money too so we will see and eventually mercury and the others will accept lithium's. But as of today and today's testing they are playing on the safe side.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Good points. Maybe they will release a list of approved batteries at some point.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jphillips2546 View Post
    I have a legal background. This might effectively prevent a warranty denial on the fact of using a lithium battery alone. Mercury willingly selling to a manufacturer who offers this creates presedent and acceptance of such practices. Now they could do so in other ways by claiming the battery itself was faulty making a nasty legal run around but this opens a big door. I think it was a precarious stance before given the Mercury sponsored lithium users anyway but certainly opens the question more.
    Mercury has released two service bulletin versions on this topic just THIS year. The first was crystal-clear on the topic.

The later revision clarified their position that they had not approved any Lithium Battery for use with their engines, and that the Engine Installation Instructions provided with each engine clearly indicate the type of (Lead-Acid or AGM) battery that is required.

While they acknowledged that some boat manufacturers have tested specific Lithium Battery configurations for use with their specific boat setups, they do not support the use of Lithium batteries, and any problems that arise (or support required) should be directed to the Battery Installer.

This has been discussed over and over and over. Read your ENGINE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS, and refer to the FAQ Section (and sticky posts at the top of the forum) for further information on this topic.

Mean_dean: What this means is that any electrical problems, starting problems, voltage problems, low voltage faults, sudden loss of power and/or control while operating your engine, etc. should be directed to Tracker (or whomever physically installed a non-approved battery).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Don answered better than I did.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    I love a good healthy debate. This is similar to car dealers installing aftermarket parts on say a jeep and then dening warranty over the lift that was either factory or dealer installed. I'd have to look up the cases again to be fair but judgements were made that if a dealer installed it prior to purchase and no signed waiver of informed consent that such parts may pose a risk to the warranty, the warranty must be honored. This is due to purchase before a manual is even available for the buyer to read. Furthermore, the dealer acting as a representative of the manufacturer, those actions put the manufacturer in the play of responsibility. Now this is not a true apples to apples look at it. Boats are sometimes sold with or without motors to the dealer and generally do not ship with batteries at all. An auto manufacturer provides product all inclusive.

Edit: I should probably point out that the mod can't debate this openly as being a dealer of Mercury himself. To be fair he is doing the correct thing given the circumstances.
    Last edited by jphillips2546; 06-12-2021 at 11:08 AM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jphillips2546 View Post
    Edit: I should probably point out that the mod can't debate this openly as being a dealer of Mercury himself. To be fair he is doing the correct thing given the circumstances.
    I should also point out that this forum is for ACCURATE and HELPFUL information (not debates). There are plenty of other forums across the interweb for "everything goes" discussions.

You bring up an interesting point about manufacturers, but in this case, the pitfall of that point is that your boat is a combination of components from MANY manufacturers, joined together by either the BOAT manufacturer, the BOAT dealer, or the owner themself. Actions taken by those parties, who are NOT contractual representatives of the Engine Manufacturer, would fall on those parties directly. Very different from "Franchised" car dealers both in practice AND contract.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor