Thread: Starbrite?

Starbrite?

I’ve got an 07 optimax pro xs and I’ve put probably 60-100 hours on it. The entire time I’ve ran starbrite as my previous mechanic raves about it. I’ve fouled 2 sets of plugs in it and the 2 mechanics I’ve talked to said I shouldn’t run anything but premium plus in it. Anyone else have any experiences like this?
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

Twin 200 2005 Mercury Optimax Engines
    1B191661
    1B160290

3. Member
    +1. Maybe the 4th mechanic you try will actually know what they are talking about.

4. Member
    Who's the mechanics telling you that from Louisville? And didn't know Starbrite was oil. And as far as oil DFI is recommended by Mercury but lots of people use Premium plus cause its cheaper.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    All I have ever used, or will use, in mine.

Read this for top recommendations for your Optimax - Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    All I have ever used, or will use, in mine.

Read this for top recommendations for your Optimax - Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations
    +100

THOSE recommendations have been tested repeatedly and extensively for your engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigman78 View Post
    Who's the mechanics telling you that from Louisville? And didn't know Starbrite was oil. And as far as oil DFI is recommended by Mercury but lots of people use Premium plus cause its cheaper.
    No one in Louisville. I had a guy I used near murray through college but had a bad experience and switched to someone near calvert. Also reached out to mechanic previous owner used whos near Ashland. Now I’m in Louisville. I do have an appointment for service with anglers outpost. I’m thinking if it’s not oil causing the issue I could have an injector leaning out.
    Murray State Alum

As mentioned above, DFI oil and add Don's cocktail (explained up in the stickies) in every tank of fuel. Are you running the recommended 87 octane fuel? I don't think an injector running lean would foul a set of plugs. Is the engine getting up to operating temp?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    As mentioned above, DFI oil and add Don's cocktail (explained up in the stickies) in every tank of fuel. Are you running the recommended 87 octane fuel? I don't think an injector running lean would foul a set of plugs. Is the engine getting up to operating temp?
    So I water tested it today, plugs weren’t fouled. One looked bad so I assumed that was the issue and thought something was causing them to foul as that was my problem last summer with the exact same symptoms. But it’s still doing it today with brand new plugs
    Murray State Alum

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What plugs, what gap, and what did you torque the plugs to (with a torque wrench)? All are critically important questions.

Although it's never "impossible" for an injector to give problems, it's not nearly as common as a number of other items that can cause performance problems (or plug fouling).

WHICH plug(s) are fouling? (see orientation below)

2 - 1
    4 - 3
    6 - 5

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    What plugs, what gap, and what did you torque the plugs to (with a torque wrench)? All are critically important questions.

Although it's never "impossible" for an injector to give problems, it's not nearly as common as a number of other items that can cause performance problems (or plug fouling).

WHICH plug(s) are fouling? (see orientation below)

2 - 1
    4 - 3
    6 - 5
    The NGKs that it calls for CANT remember part number, stock gap, can’t remember torque I googled it. And I think it was cylinder 4
    Murray State Alum

12. Member
    I was told they came pre gapped is that not correct
    Murray State Alum

Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    I was told they came pre gapped is that not correct
    They don't come pre-gapped. You can find the spark plug info in the FAQ thread section here. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=20401

It would also be helpful to the experts if you posted your serial number as required

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

14. Member
    ^^^^^ +1 noooppe they sure dont
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

15. Member
    NGK- IZFR6J are the plugs
    Murray State Alum

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    NGK- IZFR6J are the plugs
    Must be gapped with a WIRE gap tool via the "go and no go" method. ZERO force to any portion of the white porcelain OR the electrode pin.

Serial number is helpful in determining "which" ProXS you have (Mercury doesn't use "years" so it's very helpful to check serial number for production date and/or ignition coil design).

225/250 ProXS Optimax models with multi-strike ignition coils require a .042 - .044" gap. Torque to 20 lbs/ft with a torque wrench.

17. Member
    1B447052 is my serial number

gonna take it to anglers outpost and have them figure it out.
    Murray State Alum

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Your 250 ProXS, which was built 11/30/2006, should have the plugs gapped at .042 - .044"

19. Member
    Danny at marine works is good too