Grand River (Spring Lake) and the Bayous

Anyone been on the river lately? I was curious as to how high the water level is? I remember a couple years ago parking lots near the river had become fishable..lol. Thanks!

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

2. Member
    I haven't been this year, but can assure the water has come down quite a bit from when you are talking about.

3. Member
    It’s way down from then and all the launches are open. That being said I’ve never seen so many boats in all my life. The recreational boat traffic is nuts and so is the fishing pressure on all our main lakes on the west side. I can imagine there are very many people left that don’t own a boat after the last 2 years.

4. Member
    Yikes! Sounds like a mess on the West. I'm going to be adding to that pressure soon... Thank you for letting me know the situation up there. I just got back from Traverse and the pressure wasn't bad at all. Of course, it's much bigger water, so there's that. Tight lines brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    It’s way down from then and all the launches are open. That being said I’ve never seen so many boats in all my life. The recreational boat traffic is nuts and so is the fishing pressure on all our main lakes on the west side. I can imagine there are very many people left that don’t own a boat after the last 2 years.

its not that bad. Grand haven area is always busy. fishing has been pretty good from the looks of the local derbys. i've not seen water levels near grand haven, but i imagine they are closer to "normal". we are in a drought and the system as a whole is low, but lake michigan is still above average and that regulates the level more the closer you get.

6. Member
    Not that bad = Not very good. Speaking of weekends of course. It’s a $hit show by noon if you factor Spring Lake into the equation all the way to the Bass River area. Wait till the water heats up by July. Everyone in the country just bought a boat and a camper. It’s no different with the campgrounds. Everything just got way busier over night. It’s no different on Hartwell it’s like that almost everywhere now.

7. Member
    Figured this would be a good thread to ask this. Just getting into bass fishing and wondering where to start on the grand? Grew up on eastmanville bayou but never fished it.
    Are you guys fishing the main river body or the bayous for bass. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

8. Member
    The Bayous and Spring Lake are more productive than the main river. There are times the main river is good, but I would rather not share that info. Sorry, but I've spent a ton of time and money figuring the river out.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    The Bayous and Spring Lake are more productive than the main river. There are times the main river is good, but I would rather not share that info. Sorry, but I've spent a ton of time and money figuring the river out.
    No problem at all. I'm definitely not looking to steal anyone's spots for sure. Appreciate the info.

10. Member
    With Spring Lake being so close to the big lake, the water levels out on Lake Michigan is a big driver. If you look at the long term monthly water level averages for Lake Michigan, right now we are about half way between that and the all time record levels from last year. So we've come down quite a bit from last year, but it's still a good bit higher than an average year.

11. Member
    I've had good luck on Spring Lake and the Bayous in the past. The traffic on the weekends is probably crazy, which is why I go during the week...lol.