license requirements for Potomac

I'm just curious about the license requirements for the potomac river. I have a Virginia fishing license but do I need a Maryland fishing license also? I've been told I need a DC license above the woodrow wilson bridge. Any clarification from guys that know would be much appreciated.

• This is a copy/paste from PFRC (Potomac River Fisheries Commission Recreational fishing section.

Below the 301 Bridge - you are required to have one of the following:
      1. Potomac River Fisheries Sport Fishing License, or
      2. Virginia Saltwater Recreational License, or
      3. Maryland Bay (Tidal) Sport Fishing License.

Above the 301 Bridge - you are required to have one of the following:
      1. Potomac River Fisheries Sport Fishing License, or
      2. Virginia Saltwater Recreational License, or
      3. Maryland Bay (Tidal) Sport Fishing License, or
      4. Virginia Statewide Freshwater Fishing License.

Above the Woodrow Wilson Bridge:
      1. You are required to have a District of Columbia Fishing License.

DC patrols the area in maryland above the WW Bridge and they treat it as DC water.
    Islands know's what's going on!
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

4. Member
    Thank you very much!

5. Member
    you need your coast guard boating course certificate as well. i went ahead and did the dc specific course as well as it covered things specific to DC waters. The only time I have been pulled over on the water was in DC waters and they were not polite. First time on the DC water for missing a no wake buoy taking a couple wounded soldiers out. Once they realized what I was doing, they let me on my way. I have friends who were run off by Coasties with M60 MG's for fishing the WW Bridge pilings. So be over prepared and obey the buoys. If you don't know DC waters, do not venture outside the lanes as the area near Blue Plains, the Spoils is very hazardous.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

6. Member
    Chris...based on the attached screen shot, you are allowed to fish above the woodrow wilson bridge without a DC license. THe spoils area, for instance, is technically within Maryland jurisdiction...as is the shoreline on the VA side. You should be able to fish the VA shoreline with a VA license and not be in violation of DC laws.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    From experience...if you are above the WW Bridge, you should be prepared to be checked by the authorities. In terms of the fishing license you need, there are specific areas that are technically within certain jurisdictions but I would say as a general rule, if you are fishing north of the bridge, you need a DC license. I have been checked multiple times. What is interesting is that I have only been asked if I had a DC license but have never been required to show proof of it. They took me at my word that I did (I did have one and always do). However, they do make you show proof of a working fire extinguisher, throw cushion, and enough life vests for all people in the boat. I have never been asked to show proof of having flares.

I have never been checked on the Potomac below the bridge. Not once. Although, they commonly check people in the back of Occoquan, especially during the winter.