Thread: Rod action??

Rod action??

I had a rod built for shaky fishing. It is 7.5 feet long. The builder looked at the rod I have been using as a guide to what blank to order. I just now held both rods in my hand and put the tips on the driveway. The reels are mounted on the rods. The new rod bent from the tip to the fourth or fifth guide somewhat more than the old rod. What does this mean in action terms and what does it mean as far as fishing, setting the hook and handling the landing of fish?

Sorry if the questions sound foolish but I know nothing about this kind of stuff.

2. Member
    Imo I’d rather have the rod bend a little more like that but it’s all personal preference.

I’d probably call it a fast to Mod-fast action. you’ll be able to cast farther with the custom rod because of the extra flex and might not lose as many fish because the rod has more give to absorb the shock. You might have to set the hook a little harder to account for the flex but it is so negligible you shouldn’t notice a difference.

for reference I use a MH Mod-fast “spinnerbait” rod for my finesse football jigs. Plenty of flex for the rod to load up without bending the hook and I lose a lot less fish than with a XF rod.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. I feel like I understand the rod a little better now.