Question Power tongue jack question

Which is better -
    One that uses the trailer battery?
    Or uses the tow vehicle power?
    And why.
    Thank you.

2. Member
    I would think that if it uses the battery then it would work when it’s plugged into the truck. I know on my fifth wheel that is the case, I can raise and lower my jacks either way.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

3. Member
    Thank You.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The trailer battery and tow vehicle power are one and the same when they are hooked up.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Thank You.

6. Member
    My tongue jack will work when the camper is plugged into 110 but struggles while only plugged into the tow vehicle. I just replaced both batteries. What should I look for?

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 84rickygreen View Post
    My tongue jack will work when the camper is plugged into 110 but struggles while only plugged into the tow vehicle. I just replaced both batteries. What should I look for?
    Are your batteries fully charged? Battery disconnect switch on?
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    I’m not familiar with a battery disconnect switch. The jack works, but runs the batteries down very quickly. I picked up the trailer to hook up, lowered it onto the ball and then picked up the truck and camper to connect the sway bars. I ran out of juice before I could lower it back down. Shouldn’t I be using the truck power while it is connected?

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 84rickygreen View Post
    I’m not familiar with a battery disconnect switch. The jack works, but runs the batteries down very quickly. I picked up the trailer to hook up, lowered it onto the ball and then picked up the truck and camper to connect the sway bars. I ran out of juice before I could lower it back down. Shouldn’t I be using the truck power while it is connected?
    If the onboard batteries are weak, the truck may not provide enough current to overcome that, and many vehicles require the driver's door to be closed before power is applied.

The disconnect switch will keep the batteries from being charged. It sounds like your batteries are dead, so you need to figure out why they aren't charging.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    Thank you CatFan. I had my batteries checked but it is looking like my charger is not working correctly. I have had the trailer plugged in for several days now, so I will try it again to see if they are now fully charged. Thanks

11. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Depending on trailer/5th wheel you may have both an inverter and a converter. If either one goes out your battery can suffer. It may be an automatic transfer switch that has gone bad. The wiring can be a mess to trace out and fine your problem. Hard to troubleshoot with out having hands/eyes on the trailer.

12. Member
    Thanks Spider1. I will keep that in consideration when I start troubleshooting. Say hello to Quentin Cappo for me!