Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Anyone know of a shop that services Mercury™ motors and...

isn't backed up until August? I took the Ranger™ out after not using for 5 weeks and it started right up and when I tried to get it on plane, it was sluggish and then the temp.º rose and then a continuous BEEP came on. I let it sit for about 20 min. and again it started right up and as soon as I gave it some juice I get a BEEP...

Thanks

2. Member
    This happened to me. Check the pee-hole for obstruction like mud dauber activity. Hope it is that simple.

3. Member
    pm sent..

4. Banned
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 07-24-2021 at 06:07 AM.

5. Member
    What model engine is it?

6. Banned
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 07-24-2021 at 06:07 AM.

7. Member
    Lew...Check with Mike at 1st Choice Marine in St Pete.... He's Merc authorized dealer and repair shop. That's the ONLY place where I'll get my 150 Opti worked on or checked out. Had it at at two other other shops 4 times within 3 months ( and nearly $1300) with a fuel issue and it was never fixed, and it sat for weeks waiting to be checked out. Called Mike, took it in about a week later, he had it fixed that day! That was 2 years ago, and it hasn't hiccupped since! I know that's not exactly local for you, me either, but it 's worth the drive. Phone # (727) 322-6003. Also...He doesn't want it sitting there till he's ready to work on it, so your boat won't be sitting at a shop lot for weeks prior to them working on it. That meant a LOT to me! Good luck, Let me know if I can help! Bob
    Last edited by Bob20; 06-12-2021 at 02:19 PM.
    BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

8. Banned
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 07-24-2021 at 06:06 AM.

9. Member
    Mike at StJohns marine service in Green Cove. Definitely the best around. 904-657-2374. If you are looking for someone not busy then that's probably a clue.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

10. Member
    I assume you checked RNF Marine already?
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

11. Banned
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 07-24-2021 at 06:06 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Negatory good buddy.. I'm leaning on just towing it to the consignment yard w/all the shit in it and be done with it...
    Ryan has a great reputation. He sure helped me a bunch, I know that!
    I called to schedule ahead, to reduce the length of time the boat would have to be at the shop. They’re not too far away.

Regardless, I hope it doesn’t mean you might get out of fishing altogether over some motor problems.
    -David Daye

13. Banned
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 07-24-2021 at 06:05 AM.

14. Member
    Not much of a tea drinker, to be honest. Too astringent in the unsweetened variety, worrisome for diabetes in the Southern Sweet variety.

Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help. You ever try chiropractic treatments, or a good doctor of osteopathic medicine? My wife does some osteopathic manipulation at times. She might know somebody that could help. Or I could bribe her to give your back/neck a look for some senkos or a waypoint, lol
    -David Daye

15. Banned
    "
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 07-24-2021 at 06:04 AM.

16. Member
    What temp did it rise to? If it was overheating it should be a continuous beep without putting in gear and trying to take off. If it beeped at 2k rpms its probably the shift position switch. Its under the cowl by the shifter linkage. It prevents from over revving in neutral. Not hard to change.
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    isn't backed up until August? I took the Ranger™ out after not using for 5 weeks and it started right up and when I tried to get it on plane, it was sluggish and then the temp.º rose and then a continuous BEEP came on. I let it sit for about 20 min. and again it started right up and as soon as I gave it some juice I get a BEEP...

Thanks
    The Continuous Beep sounds like an Oil Alarm to me. That Motor Mounted Tank on the optis is Famous for the Magnet Glue letting go and the Magnet dropping to the bottom sending out a low oil alarm, which could also put it into Limp Mode.

I have a 2004 Opti 150 and I have had to change the Motor Tank 2 times since I bought it in 2015. They are easy to do yourself if you choose. You can buy the tanks on EBay or straight from Mercury. Go to the Merc Site and put your Serial Number in the form and you can get a complete break-down of your Motor and all the Correct Part Numbers for it.

Good Luck.

18. Banned
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 07-24-2021 at 06:03 AM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    I assume you checked RNF Marine already?
    They did my repower last year. Had my boat for a couple of weeks. I got a good deal on the motor and some extra work I had them do. After my first outing on the water,, I found 2 problems, 1) Motor wouldn't shift to reverse and 2) The kill switch didn't work. I brought the boat back up there and left it over the weekend. He resolved the shifting problem but the kill switch still doesn't work. Ryan stated quite a few times that he hated working on my boat, that it was a pain in the ass. I understand that he's been swamped since covid started but communication about the kill switch stopped once the check cleared. I even messaged him when I discovered one of the wires for the switch wasn't connected and got no response.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

20. Member
    Based on what you have said I am guessing there is some type of occurrence that is causing the Engine Guardian to put the motor into Limp Mode. Since the pee hole seems clear it is probably oil-related. Deadeye1 probably has the answer. If you wish to dig deeper I think this is the service manual for your motor:
    http://www.hedges-uk.com/boat/Merc/o...20OG960500.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast