Thread: Helix or Solix?

Helix or Solix?

Looking to make a purchase just for 360 imaging. Always used Lowrance and not really up on the latest technology from H.B., so not sure which I should go with. Thanks in advance.

Gt a Helix DI Mega+ In G3N Or G4N. They are cheaper and do not draw as much power. Resolution is great too. You will het used to the non-touch screen, especially if it is just for Mega 360.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Helix units are much less complicated than Solix. For just 360, Helix will be plenty fine.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

They are pretty much the same for the MEGA 360, just a difference between touch screen (SOLIX) and buttons (Helix). PLUS the SOLIX units are about $500 more for the same size display.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Main differences:
    Solix
    - touch screen
    - Ability to share map cards
    - ability to share HS and GPS separately on a connected puck
    - waypoints, tracks, routes synchronized between units versus shared (each unit has a complete copy)
    - waypoint naming and management on the unit is simple with built in keyboard, groups, icons, colors
    - ability to scroll back and look at sonar and SI history (and Mark waypoints in structure you’ve based over)
    - ability to create any window layout you want
    - ability to have nmea engine data on a split screen
    - some say more complicated to use
    - No adapters required for ethernet connection
    - 1280x800 screen resolution

Helix
    - less expensive
    - ability to resize windows
    - 1280x800 screen resolution

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

I prefer touchscreen, especially when marking waypoints, which you will do a lot with 360.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

7. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I use my Solix touch screen a lot with my Mega 360. I'm constantly tweaking the contrast and sensitivity. Very easy to do with the Solix. Also, if you plan to divide your screen into multiple panels, Mega 360 has to take 1/2 of the screen but the other half (either a half or two quarters) of the screen can be anything you want them to be... Totally customizable. With the Helix, you are limited to the views that Humminbird provides.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

8. Member
    I run Lowrance in my Bass Cat. Just as 06 SB said, the Helix is easy. I run a Helix 12 for my 360 and you really don't have to do too much with it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I use my Solix touch screen a lot with my Mega 360. I'm constantly tweaking the contrast and sensitivity. Very easy to do with the Solix. Also, if you plan to divide your screen into multiple panels, Mega 360 has to take 1/2 of the screen but the other half (either a half or two quarters) of the screen can be anything you want them to be... Totally customizable. With the Helix, you are limited to the views that Humminbird provides.
    With a Helix you can adjust the size of the pane. So you can display the M360 in 60% or 70% of the screen, then have DI and sonar stacked in 2 smaller boxes. Can’t do that with Solix. It’s the main reason I went with the Helix, works great on the bow. I really like the shortcut buttons too. Do wish I had the touch screen though.
    Last edited by Drothgeb; 06-12-2021 at 09:52 AM.

10. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Gt a Helix DI Mega+ In G3N Or G4N. They are cheaper and do not draw as much power. Resolution is great too. You will het used to the non-touch screen, especially if it is just for Mega 360.
    This!
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66