Depth Shading Doesn't Follow Map Contours

Please take a look at these screenshots from both a 73SV and ActiveCaptain on my iPhone. I'm running the current hw/sw versions of iOS/ActiveCaptain and the 73/G3 mapping.

I uploaded screenshots to my Dropbox account to keep them at a higher resolution/size than allowed on BBC; https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dtgaj0j7o...3H5noJLDa?dl=0

I've got depth shading set up as follows;

*0-5 = red
    *5-10 = orange
    *10-15 = yellow
    *15-20 = green

I'm seeing this issue on both the 73 and iPhone on multiple lakes and multiple spots on each lake. Kind of reminds me of a young kid that can't color between the lines...

Has anyone seen this before? I'm trying to figure out if this problem is specific to me or if this is just how Garmin depth shading works. If I understand correctly, depth shading is a relatively new feature for Garmin, so maybe it just doesn't work as well as well as LakeMaster/Humminbird? I hope that's not the case as I'd like to standardize on Garmin (except for bird 360).

I've been using LakeMaster since the first year they introduced a map card (long before Humminbird acquired LakeMaster) and I've never seen anything like this with LakeMaster/Humminbird map cards in a Humminbird unit. The depth shading ("depth highlight" in Humminbird terms) is spot on, if you tell it to highlight/shade 15-20 feet that's exactly what you get/see.

I sent an email to Garmin Support on 6/4 and haven't gotten a response yet. I'll update this thread when I hear back from Garmin...

TIA for your feedback!

-Frank

2. Member
    The depth shading has always been horrible at following the contour. It would be nice if it did , as the color shading gets you close then you might as well just read the contour lines
    2022 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Proxs