Thread: Diode

Diode

Why does Mercury have a diode on the start wire at the solenoid attached to ground. I don't have a serial number but believe its on all current outboards. When the diode goes bad (shorted) it blows the main fuse.

2. Member
    Standard practice. The solenoid coil can kickback a high voltage spike. The diode shorts out the spike. Protects other electronic components connected to that circuit.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    Standard practice. The solenoid coil can kickback a high voltage spike. The diode shorts out the spike. Protects other electronic components connected to that circuit.

Damn! I thought I was the only one here that understood that!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Damn! I thought I was the only one here that understood that!

5. Member
    Standard practice on most electronic devices to prevent damage.

6. Member
    The start circuit isnt hooked to anything else according to the diagram. The key start position is only energized when its turned to start. When the key is released the wire is dead. So when the solenoid kicks back the spike has nowhere to go. Open circuit. Is there another possible reason for the diode?

When the magnetic field collapse in the solenoid and the core returns to normally resting position a huge voltage spike is created because of the the open circuit. The spike has to go somewhere and that is sent through the positive cable and every thing that is connected to it,
    The core has become a very strong magnet and there is very sleight delay on the contacts opening leaving that for current to flow
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-11-2021 at 08:51 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L78steve View Post
    The start circuit isnt hooked to anything else according to the diagram. The key start position is only energized when its turned to start. When the key is released the wire is dead. So when the solenoid kicks back the spike has nowhere to go. Open circuit. Is there another possible reason for the diode?
    I tell you what, 12 volts won't shock you of course, you hold the energize wire to a solenoid and I'll turn it on and off. Don't drop it.

9. Member
    Got it. Thank you for the info.

10. Member
    TMI?

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L78steve View Post
    At the very least it protects the ignition switch. The spike will jump the switch contacts if it isn’t clamped. Where it goes from there depends on many things.

De-energizing a coil is how simple gas engine ignitions work to create the spark. The points are the switch.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    At the very least it protects the ignition switch. The spike will jump the switch contacts if it isn’t clamped. Where it goes from there depends on many things.

De-energizing a coil is how simple gas engine ignitions work to create the spark. The points are the switch.
    Yeah, and that spike can be upward of 14,000 volts. It will get your attention fast.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    TMI?
    No I can handle it.