Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derek81 View Post
    Anyone had the pleasure of owning both of these in the past? I have been a Skeeter for a decade and currently in an FXR20 but strongly looking at the CX20 this year. Anyone spent considerable time in both to share any pros or cons of the two?
    I know two guys that had team deals with Caymas and both kept their boats less than 1 year. They had 2020 20’ boats. Had major issues with the fiberglass spider cracking and other structural issues. They both said the company would not stand behind the boats and kept trying to fix the problems unsuccessfully. They both sold their boats and took losses even with their team deal pricing. They were boat PISSED over the entire situation. They were told the problems have only been with the 20’ boats. I only share because I am shopping for a new boat and have looked at both the Skeeter and the Caymas and their experiences obviously turned me off on the Caymas boats. One person is no big deal......two people makes me think there are other issues. Maybe they addressed in the ‘21 models but I would be leary until they have some years on the water and the company proves they will stand behind things.

I am only sharing because I would want to know if I was looking at a 2020 model. Might want to ask some questions about spider cracking and other structural issues.
    Last edited by kyfisherman1; 06-10-2021 at 06:37 PM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kyfisherman1 View Post
    I know two guys that had team deals with Caymas and both kept their boats less than 1 year. They had 2020 20’ boats. Had major issues with the fiberglass spider cracking and other structural issues. They both said the company would not stand behind the boats and kept trying to fix the problems unsuccessfully. They both sold their boats and took losses even with their team deal pricing. They were boat PISSED over the entire situation. They were told the problems have only been with the 20’ boats. I only share because I am shopping for a new boat and have looked at both the Skeeter and the Caymas and their experiences obviously turned me off on the Caymas boats. One person is no big deal......two people makes me think there are other issues. Maybe they addressed in the ‘21 models but I would be leary until they have some years on the water and the company proves they will stand behind things.

I am only sharing because I would want to know if I was looking at a 2020 model. Might want to ask some questions about spider cracking and other structural issues.
    All I can speak for is myself but I brought my boat back to the factory because bunk boards was was tearing up the bottom of my hull I guess the carpet wasn’t right or something, while it was there I had a list of some minor issues that they could address and they turned the boat out in two weeks no questions asked so there maybe more to the story of the other two guys, one time I noticed my sticker was coming off and emailed the factory and had a new one in two days, same as when my license plate bracket broke , new one in two days, so I would say their customer service is good or better then most, every boar I’ve bought in the last ten years has went back to the factory for a spell for either cracks, trailer issues, whatever I’ve owned ranger, 2 stratos Phoenix, and caymas now in the past 10 years

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    All I can speak for is myself but I brought my boat back to the factory because bunk boards was was tearing up the bottom of my hull I guess the carpet wasn’t right or something, while it was there I had a list of some minor issues that they could address and they turned the boat out in two weeks no questions asked so there maybe more to the story of the other two guys, one time I noticed my sticker was coming off and emailed the factory and had a new one in two days, same as when my license plate bracket broke , new one in two days, so I would say their customer service is good or better then most, every boar I’ve bought in the last ten years has went back to the factory for a spell for either cracks, trailer issues, whatever I’ve owned ranger, 2 stratos Phoenix, and caymas now in the past 10 years
    I completely understand. These guys are both good guys. They did say that Caymas made multiple attempts to fix things but the problems weren’t getting fixed or were being bandaided. Sounds like their issues might have been more severe than yours.

Buddy of mine had a 21 caymas and just traded it in for a new fxr21. The caymas was nice but honestly I didn’t see where the ride was so great. It had a good hole shot and I liked the cockpit area.

5. Member

This is truth. I either know very well the guys you are talking about or 2 more with same issues.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wingrider1800 View Post
    This is truth. I either know very well the guys you are talking about or 2 more with same issues.
    . Likely to be the same two guys. Both went from Caymas to Birds and took losses on their boats.

7. Member
    Assuming "boar" is "boat", you have got to be kidding me? You've bought 5 boats in ten years and they have ALL had to go back to the factory for something? I'd be wondering what the common denominator was, honestly.
    2014 920/SHO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    Assuming "boar" is "boat", you have got to be kidding me? You've bought 5 boats in ten years and they have ALL had to go back to the factory for something? I'd be wondering what the common denominator was, honestly.
    Some have had cracks and some have had trailer issues the point is no brand is perfect and me personally has had to bring everyone of them back for one thing or another, it’s actually easier to bring it to factory then deal with your dealer sometimes because everything can be done in house in a timely matter vs dealer outsource fiberglass work or what not, as far as buying a new one every couple years yeah I’m guilty so what but I used to fish five days a week now I’m down to about 3 days so I probably wait an extra year to sell this one who knows depends on what happens, but I’ve ran a many different brands and have had different issues with everyone of them

9. Member
    If this is true then obviously you are very hard on your equipment.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Must be as I've never even taken a boat back to the dealer for anything.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Little bit of both, bad roads in Louisiana will tear a trailer up, long runs in the marsh will tear a boat up, and the fact that they don’t make things like they used too. It’s nothing to run 50 miles down here to go catch them and sometimes it’s a journey , not everybody gets to fish in lakes that you can drop your trolling motor and start fishing, hell sometimes we have a two hour run one way and have to get gas to be able to make it back

12. Member

Two Of my Indiana friends both sold their 2020 boats for the same exact reason.

13. Member
    Little bit of both, bad roads in Louisiana will tear a trailer up, long runs in the marsh will tear a boat up, and the fact that they don’t make things like they used too. It’s nothing to run 50 miles down here to go catch them and sometimes it’s a journey , not everybody gets to fish in lakes that you can drop your trolling motor and start fishing, hell sometimes we have a two hour run one way and have to get gas to be able to make it back
    That makes sense, especially the roads part. Our roads are pretty bad here in Michigan too.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    What was better on the Caymas compared to the Skeeter?
    Pretty much all ergonomic related. I preferred the seats, seating position, rod storage, the ride, livewells etc. Keep in mind, I haven't driven both, so take it from that perspective. Overall fit and finish seemed much better on the Caymas. The Caymas did have a slight list, and is slower. When coming off plane, it almost acted like it was hooked, and would pull to one side. Not sure if the list and pull are related.

Also from where I sat, the Skeeter felt "cheaper" by comparison. Still a plenty nice boat though, one day when I grow up (unlikely) I'd love to have either haha.

15. Banned
    id take either if someone gave me 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    I’ve ridden in and driven two 21’ Caymas’, both had a port side list at low speed,it reminded me of my old Stratos 21SS. A lean like that will rattle your teeth in rough water. The hull hits the waves on the flat side between the keel and the side instead of the vee. It seems to be a known issue with those Caymas boats.
    I had a 21ss and good grief did I hate that boat.

Little bit of both, bad roads in Louisiana will tear a trailer up, long runs in the marsh will tear a boat up, and the fact that they don’t make things like they used too.
    South Lousyanna roads will make a new truck rattle apart quickly. Looking forward to going there in a few weeks to eat the best BBQ in the US!

Quote Originally Posted by ParDeus View Post
    Pretty much all ergonomic related. I preferred the seats, seating position, rod storage, the ride, livewells etc. Keep in mind, I haven't driven both, so take it from that perspective. Overall fit and finish seemed much better on the Caymas. The Caymas did have a slight list, and is slower. When coming off plane, it almost acted like it was hooked, and would pull to one side. Not sure if the list and pull are related.

Also from where I sat, the Skeeter felt "cheaper" by comparison. Still a plenty nice boat though, one day when I grow up (unlikely) I'd love to have either haha.

19. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Get the Skeeter...

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Must be as I've never even taken a boat back to the dealer for anything.
    I fish out of a 96 Javelin 409T and it dont have any cracks and it is 24 years old ,
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast