Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Truth
    Truth

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    I had a 21ss and good grief did I hate that boat.
    I had a 2000 year model, 20SS and after a year, Stratos wrote me a check for the full purchase price and took it back.

Quote Originally Posted by kyfisherman1 View Post
    I know two guys that had team deals with Caymas and both kept their boats less than 1 year. They had 2020 20’ boats. Had major issues with the fiberglass spider cracking and other structural issues. They both said the company would not stand behind the boats and kept trying to fix the problems unsuccessfully. They both sold their boats and took losses even with their team deal pricing. They were boat PISSED over the entire situation. They were told the problems have only been with the 20’ boats. I only share because I am shopping for a new boat and have looked at both the Skeeter and the Caymas and their experiences obviously turned me off on the Caymas boats. One person is no big deal......two people makes me think there are other issues. Maybe they addressed in the ‘21 models but I would be leary until they have some years on the water and the company proves they will stand behind things.

I am only sharing because I would want to know if I was looking at a 2020 model. Might want to ask some questions about spider cracking and other structural issues.
    Those late 90's Tritons had major issues with spider cracking. Seems the issue is following Earl. I had a '99 TR20 and spider cracks were unbelievable. I also had issues with the boat leaning to the port side when driving. I also had a terrible hole shot even with a Bravo 1.

Man I am glad I am reading this because I was fixin to jump on a Caymas. No way do I dare if they have the same issues as my old Triton.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    Two Of my Indiana friends both sold their 2020 boats for the same exact reason.
    Probably the same two guys I am speaking of.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    South Lousyanna roads will make a new truck rattle apart quickly. Looking forward to going there in a few weeks to eat the best BBQ in the US!
    Yeah that’s funny, better just stop at the end of lake road and pull in some crabs with a piece of chicken, and string

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    Well I have had a caymas cx21 pro for a year and have yet to see any lean, the guys I have heard about the lean was more about weight distribution then anything, holeshot is the best I’ve ever seen when I’m by myself, I fish the marshes of south Louisiana and can jump this boat up in 1’ of water, I have had a slow holeshot with two people in the boat and full live wells but also I’m told the bravo 1 four blade will cure that, as far as being around a while who doesn’t have a price? Look at legend those boats are still selling for $60k and the are slow but well built , caymas is building a 100,000 sq foot extension right now so do you think he is planning on selling anytime soon? The fit and finish is the best I’ve seen in a boat and rough water ride feels good to me but what is most impressive is the shallow water draft in these boats I can float into a 1’ deep marsh pond while the trolling motor is kicking up mud and the boat does not drag at all, I used to get stuck in my Phoenix, just for the record I have seen two skeeters end up in the woods because the boar just hooked for no reason in a rough chop where a canal would meet a lake and get a lot of chop real quick, for that reason I will never buy one.
    If jumping the boat up in 1' of water means getting on plane, I would have to see it to believe it! A 21 foot boat on plane in 1'? I hope it's on a soft bottom.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    If jumping the boat up in 1' of water means getting on plane, I would have to see it to believe it! A 21 foot boat on plane in 1'? I hope it's on a soft bottom.
    Never heard of the spin move ?

8. Member
    Former Triton owner here. I'll never spend money on an Earl Bentz boat again. The guy has had 4 boat companies in 30 years. Pretty obvious his pattern, growing pains, things go great for a few years, take foot off gas, cash out. The problem is you don't know what stage his company is in when you buy. $80k on an unknown. No thanks

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    My CX20 Pro sure doesn't do that.
    Mine either!!!!

10. Member
    All I can say is I experienced problems with my caymas and if you have questions shoot me message.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    Have you ever fished the marsh? How deep do you think it is

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    Never heard of the spin move ?
    I have. He didn't say that. He said he jumped it on plane in 1'.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I went thru all of this same kind of crap 40yrs ago with Hydra Sports. First year and half I had my boat about 4 months. The rest of the time it was getting the band aide treatment to the hull. Get it re rigged and run it. Put it on the trailer and would be busted out just like before. This happened several times. I wouldn’t buy anything Earl had his name on no matter the price or the product. The worst experience I’ve ever had. Every brand has problems, it’s how they take care of them. A customer shouldn’t have to battle it out with the company to have the problem taken care of. Especially when you’re dropping $85K on a toy.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

14. Member
    Between the 2 I'd stay in the FXR. The Caymas is an alright looking boat but I've been all through a cx20 and there's nothing special about it and there's definitely nothing in to make it 80k like they're asking. Throw in having to move batteries around to get the listing out and it's a hard pass. If you're just looking to swap it up after riding in a skeeter for so many years I'd look elsewhere. There's alot of quality boats out there to choose from.
    I'm in a Phoenix now and if I were to swap it'd be a toss up between an FXR and Blazer 650. Maybe even a Falcon predator too but the ones I've seen have had alot of little QC problems that bothered me.

15. Derek McCullough
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Between the 2 I'd stay in the FXR. The Caymas is an alright looking boat but I've been all through a cx20 and there's nothing special about it and there's definitely nothing in to make it 80k like they're asking. Throw in having to move batteries around to get the listing out and it's a hard pass. If you're just looking to swap it up after riding in a skeeter for so many years I'd look elsewhere. There's alot of quality boats out there to choose from.
    I'm in a Phoenix now and if I were to swap it'd be a toss up between an FXR and Blazer 650. Maybe even a Falcon predator too but the ones I've seen have had alot of little QC problems that bothered me.
    Thanks for the feedback, this is kind of the conclusion I have come to as well, it's going to be hard to beat the Skeeter. The Blazer caught my eye as well but not having a dealer anywhere around sucks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123