Thread: 188p question

188p question

The front compartments in my 188p seem to always be soaking wet. Is this an issue for anyone else or something I need to look further into?

2. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    make sure your latch mechanisms are tight enough to compress the gaskets. other than that they are pretty decently dry but not 100%
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

3. Member
    Soaking wet at home? Condensation? Can you store it with the lids open?

Could be condensation issue considering you’re in the southern US. Mine are always dry and it’s stored inside.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by bcpc View Post
    The front compartments in my 188p seem to always be soaking wet. Is this an issue for anyone else or something I need to look further into?
    If they are wet following a fishing trip in the rain then this is pretty common and the carpet can take a very long time to dry out unless the lids are left open for several days and many folks don't have the situation where they can do that on a regular basis.

6. Member
    Initially I thought they were just wet from using it all day, but it seems to be all the time. I am not able to store it indoors, but will try to crack the lids under the cover and see if that helps. I appreciate the ideas.

7. Member
    This is the main concern I have with going tin, my 14 year old glass is bone dry every compartment after 8-10 hours in a soaking downpour so it’s not like it’s that difficult but very few seem to care enough to pull it off.

8. Member
    If you store outdoors, look into compartment fans to cycle the air.
    Also a bilge compartment fan.

When I store mine indoors and put a box fan above the bilge compartment on low.

While reading your post, I was trying to determine if the moisture is from condensation. Are there moisture droplets under the lids after it sits overnight?
    If I remember correctly, The RT188P has insulation under the lids but not on the support bar. This is an oversight on Ranger’s part because this uninsulated bar condenses a lot of moisture.
    If the problem is condensed moisture from the air, cracking the lids open should solve the problem.
    One thing I have learned is that you have to start with a dry boat and it can take days of running fans in the compartments to completely dry them after a severe event. My boat came from the factory with wet compartments and it took a while to figure it out.

I can’t leave my lids open because I leave my tackle in the boat and use a lock-R-Bar for security. My solution has evolved from insulation under the lids to passive vents and finally forced ventilation. The problem is finally solved but it has been a lot of work and frustration.
    this pic shows the compartment vents (ignore the two arrows) and there is a muffin fan in each compartment to draw air in and circulate it through the compartments. The fans are powered by a 115 VAC cable that is linked to the battery charger supply cord so anytime the battery charger is operating, the fans are running.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Member
    I have a 188p with the same issue. I also will have moisture show up in my gauges. I think it is a issue with the cooler. I have opened all the lids and let it dry out, it will stay dry until I put ice in the cooler. I took a bore scope and inspected the cooler. It is not sealed at the top where the plastic liner sits on the deck it attaches to.