Smith Mountain Lake, where to fish

Leaving Saturday for Smith Mountain Lake State Park for a week of camping and bass/striper fishing. Hoping some will share general information on best techniques for bass and general areas of the lake to get me started. Above Hales Ford Bridge or down?

Appreciate any comments.
    Last edited by Coastal Mountaineer; 06-10-2021 at 07:51 AM.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Since you will be camping below the Hales Ford Bridge there really isn't any reason to go above the bridge as most of the lake is below the bridge anyway. You will have your choice of several large feeder creeks such as Gills, Craddock, Becky's, etc. as well as the Blackwater River arm. One key will be whether or not the shad spawn will still be underway when you are here. If so, it's mostly a 12-3AM night fishing deal plus first light but the shad spawn might be over by the time you arrive and then the bass will be setting up on points and dragging 10-12" worms might be productive. There is a SML Bass Fishing Facebook page and you might get some up to date info there. This lake changes constantly, last week was excellent for LMB, even in the middle of the day, for a couple of my retired neighbors and this week has been a struggle. For stripers just look to see where the guide boats are trolling and use your electronics as they really show up compared to bass. Good luck and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Since you will be camping below the Hales Ford Bridge there really isn't any reason to go above the bridge as most of the lake is below the bridge anyway. You will have your choice of several large feeder creeks such as Gills, Craddock, Becky's, etc. as well as the Blackwater River arm. One key will be whether or not the shad spawn will still be underway when you are here. If so, it's mostly a 12-3AM night fishing deal plus first light but the shad spawn might be over by the time you arrive and then the bass will be setting up on points and dragging 10-12" worms might be productive. There is a SML Bass Fishing Facebook page and you might get some up to date info there. This lake changes constantly, last week was excellent for LMB, even in the middle of the day, for a couple of my retired neighbors and this week has been a struggle. For stripers just look to see where the guide boats are trolling and use your electronics as they really show up compared to bass. Good luck and enjoy.
    Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I fished from 6-7:15 AM today and caught 3 on a Sammy Jr. fishing rip rap so the shad bite continues. All three had very round bellies.