Hardwired TM/Graphs + Charging Issues?

Since Skeeters and most other brands are now direct hardwiring the trolling motor and graphs I am wondering how many people trip the breakers before charging the batteries? My Ultrex failed within 10 minutes of being out on the water the first time with my new boat (21 ZX225), would not steer and pedal was locked up - remote worked fine. MK service center replaced the steering board but I keep hearing rumors and conflicting information about charging without tripping the breakers might fry electronics. Minn Kota tech support told me it is not an issue using their charger and all the products were meant to work together so there is no need to trip the breakers when charging, claimed there is a small draw from the Ultrex even with power cut but that is it. So does everyone trip their breakers each time they plug in and has anyone encountered strange electronics failures on their direct wired boats? Not against tripping the breakers if that is what needs to be done but seems strange manufacturers would not mention it to owners if it was necessary.

2. Member
    I had essentially the same setup on my ranger. When I bought it in 2015 dealer told me to always trip the breakers but if you forget it wouldn’t hurt anything. I always tripped my breaker to the Tm and turned the master power switch (jump start switch to off / charge). Easy to do and get in a routine. Several times I started fishing and would forget to flip the breaker back and it was simple to open up the hatch and flip it on on the water.

3. Member
    The theory is if there is a lighting storm or some sort of power surge that makes it to the outlet - thus battery charger. This in turn can send some unwanted voltage to the trolling motor and can potentially damage the electronics. Breaking the connection from the battery charger to the trolling motor offers protection from this event. The charger wont hurt the TM in normal operation.

4. Member
    For my last three Skeeters I never trip any breakers or turn off the main power in the bilge when charging. I do turn off the Ultrex power. Never had a problem
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA