Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

Question Which units for new boat...?

Ordering a new boat soon and I'm still undecided which units / layout to go with... I'll be running the SeaClear power harness and I'll have (5) X2 31 series AGM's, two of which will be ran parallel to power electronics.

Option 1:

Bow = Solix 15 G3 and Solix 12 G3, one dedicated to Mega 360 and the other Mega Live (switching one over to mapping/2d when needed)

Console = Solix 15 G3

Option 2:

Bow = (2) Solix 12 G3, one dedicated to Mega 360 and the other Mega Live (switching one over to mapping/2d when needed)

Console = Solix 15 G3

Option 3:

Bow = (3) Solix 12 G3, one dedicated to Mega 360 and the other Mega Live and the 3rd unit for everything else.

Console = Solix 15 G3

What does the BBC crowd think...?

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

2. Member
    I don’t really have input on your set up, but on the basscat forum, the BCB rep recommended anyone that ordered Solix’s change their order to Helix’s due to availability
    2021 Triton 20 TRX Patriot w/ 250 ProXS
    16” HDS Live at console
    12” & 9” HDS Live at Bow
    Ghost, Active Target, Atlas Hydraulic, and 8’ Blades

3. Member
    I like option 2 or 3. If you don't mind buying 3 units, I would go with 3 probably just to always have mapping available at a glance.
    2020 Z-18
    HB Solix 10 - Console
    Garmin 126sv w/Livescope - Bow

4. Member
    Option 2 or 3. 90% of the time I'm happy with 2 but sometimes I wished I had 3. I prefer two graphs at the console though.
    2023 Z520R 55th Anniversary Edition
    (3) 12” HDS Live with active target
    (1) Solix 15 with Mega 360

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I'd do 3 but for the "everything else" unit I'd go with a Helix because the ability to adjust the vertical split location. As far as I know, this still can't be done on a Solix.

I'll be doing something similar but with Helix. I'm putting 2 new Helix 12's up front (probably 12s because I still need to have room to crawl in the boat from the bow) and I am going to replace the old Lowrance HDS-8 that's flush mounted on the bow with Helix 9 G3N I already have. I'll use the Helix 9 for maps and 2D.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    I have option 2, but all Helix and love it. Just waiting on my Mega Live to be delivered. Conserves battery, looks really clean and not cluttered. Just more room for me and my rods.

(5) X2’s!? Why not lithium? My Ionic 125 handles my (4) Solix no problem.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

8. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdnick View Post
    I don’t really have input on your set up, but on the basscat forum, the BCB rep recommended anyone that ordered Solix’s change their order to Helix’s due to availability
    The new boat probably won't be ready until late fall / early winter so that should be enough time for them to get back in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by wilk816 View Post
    I like option 2 or 3. If you don't mind buying 3 units, I would go with 3 probably just to always have mapping available at a glance.
    I don't mind buying 3 units, I'm just worried about how cluttered it'll be at the bow and if the boat cover will fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcqtr View Post
    Option 2 or 3. 90% of the time I'm happy with 2 but sometimes I wished I had 3. I prefer two graphs at the console though.
    Yeah, I'm leaning towards option 2 or 3. I currently have one Solix 15 at the console and I'm happy with that set up there.

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I'd do 3 but for the "everything else" unit I'd go with a Helix because the ability to adjust the vertical split location. As far as I know, this still can't be done on a Solix.

I'll be doing something similar but with Helix. I'm putting 2 new Helix 12's up front (probably 12s because I still need to have room to crawl in the boat from the bow) and I am going to replace the old Lowrance HDS-8 that's flush mounted on the bow with Helix 9 G3N I already have. I'll use the Helix 9 for maps and 2D.
    Cool, thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Skeeter View Post
    I have option 2, but all Helix and love it. Just waiting on my Mega Live to be delivered. Conserves battery, looks really clean and not cluttered. Just more room for me and my rods.
    Cool, thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    (5) X2’s!? Why not lithium? My Ionic 125 handles my (4) Solix no problem.
    Yeah, I'm probably going to stick with the AGM's. I'm not 100% sold on the lithiums yet and I don't care at all about the weight savings, going 1-3 mph faster top end, hole shot, etc. The X2's are beasts and I've had zero power issues in my current rig, especially after putting in the SeaClear power harness. Plus, you aren't supposed to use lithium with the Merc 4s, according to Merc. I know guys do though.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live