Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Pontoons... Advice Needed!

I'm looking at buying a good used pontoon boat for my family to enjoy. I am new to pontoons and don't know much about them at all. Any experts in here? What brands would you recommend me looking at? Any specific features are "must haves"? I know I want a top on it to provide some shade. I would like to be able to pull a tube behind it. Is there a minimum size motor that I need to have? Are there advantages of having three hulls instead of two? Any help or advice you can give me is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    if the family will want shade go ahead and get the double top. two, 8'ers.

2 logs suck at speed or any performance. With a 2 log, there is not much difference between a 50hp and a 90hp. You can pull a tube, just have to prop it right and use what you have.

3 log if you can swing it, biggest motor you can get, and lifting strakes on the logs if you can.

Ride on a few. it takes some getting use to. Slow. No fun to tow or load. But a great platform to play on.

3. Member
    Try to get a tritoon the difference in ride and handling is worth the money. Get as much horsepower as you can, under powered pontoon is no fun. Pontoons are hard to find right now either used or new, I’ve had one ordered since April!

Tri-toons are head and shoulders better than 2 log toons. The ride is better, performance is better, some tri-toons you can slalom ski behind they're so nimble. They will also outrun many bowriders. I sold a 26' tri, powered by a 300 Verado that would GPS 62 mph! Grandpa's old 2 logger is still fun but most folks now prefer the tri-toon.

(606)305-1956

5. Member
    Find one in your budget with at least a 90 hp, it will do what your wanting.

I just went through the same thing. Basically, 115HP and less will be 2 pontoons, more HP than that will have 3. All makers are similar but there are differences. Lifting strakes (added aluminum pieces on the bottom/outside of the ‘toons to help lift the boat). Some use 28” logs while others use 24”. There are subtle options so do some digging! The used market is crazy stupid so if you see one you like, JUMP at it. These things blow around like crazy with even slight winds. A 90 was my minimum HP and glad I held to that limit.

What is your primary use? For me and my wife, it is just slowly cruising around the lake and the very occasional towing of a tube. We decided to just keep it simple and basic. We ordered a Ranger Reata 200C with a 90. We liked the powder coated pontoons as ours is kept in the water at our dock.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 06-09-2021 at 06:02 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    Bennington Tritoons are nice and I am not a pontoon guy.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeNix View Post
    Tri-toons are head and shoulders better than 2 log toons. The ride is better, performance is better, some tri-toons you can slalom ski behind they're so nimble. They will also outrun many bowriders. I sold a 26' tri, powered by a 300 Verado that would GPS 62 mph! Grandpa's old 2 logger is still fun but most folks now prefer the tri-toon.
    This, no way would i get a two log, the Tri-toon is the way to go even if you have to wait a while to find one. We would sell 20-1 tri-toon over two log, they carry a load 80% better than a two log, perform better, no problem at all pulling a tube or skis and plenty of room, personally i would get one with the skins on the bottom, sure makes a difference in the way it performs.

My main use will be just cruising around and pulling the kids on tubes, etc. We may also try to ski. What minimum horsepower do y’all recommend to ski?

10. Member
    Good luck finding one!

I would get a 22-23' tritoon with a 150-200 motor.

But, if you are like 06 and just want to put around the lake a 20-22' bi-toon with max HP engine will be fine. My tip? Add an amp to the stereo so you can rock the tunes. But, the ladies will be saying turn it down!

Quote Originally Posted by BR400 View Post
    Good luck finding one!

I would get a 22-23' tritoon with a 150-200 motor.

But, if you are like 06 and just want to put around the lake a 20-22' bi-toon with max HP engine will be fine. My tip? Add an amp to the stereo so you can rock the tunes. But, the ladies will be saying turn it down!
    Best answer yet!!

Prices of Benningtons have gone up 10% due to demand. A tritoon with 150hp and some bells and whistles will be a really good sled to do what you want, but be prepared for some sticker shock.

Quote Originally Posted by novakevlar View Post
    Prices of Benningtons have gone up 10% due to demand. A tritoon with 150hp and some bells and whistles will be a really good sled to do what you want, but be prepared for some sticker shock.
    $73,309 https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2022...ruise-7640081/

1) Tri Toon
    2) lifting lugs/fins
    3)Under pinned
    4) 150 hp up
    Really depends on what you want to do with it. Cruise around, fish, pull kids on tub/knee boards?
    I have a 22' Misty Harbor tri with a Suzuki 140 4 stroke. The 140 is bare minimum for pulling kids in the water with adults on board especially with the bimini up. My rig will do 40mph, but with a full load pulling kids its a 25mph boat.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

15. Banned
    Saw a new looking 3 log potion on Gaston with a 300 on. That should go, go, go.

16. Member
    Good luck finding one. People are asking ridiculous $s and appear to be getting it. 1990 vintage toon with a beat to crap boat, worn (or no) seats and woefully underpowered 50 HP and a suspicious looking trailer for $8K to $10K.

The good ones get gobbled up quickly - even before a test ride!

We’ve decided to hold off until things settle down.
    Sam

2022 Falcon F20 TE Hybrid - 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Not a pro - barely an average Joe!

17. Member
    I'm about to sell mine. 2007 Premiere 275 escapade ptx tritoon model with 250 yamaha 4 stroke for 28k. Pm if interested. It'll do everything you're wanting and more.

18. Member
    There's no shortage of new toons for sale in my area. Not sure why, but boat dealers all over Pinellas county have plenty of them on their lots, 2 and 3 log. I'm talking about nice boats powered right. Looking? May want to check here.
    BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

I’ve had pontoons since the 70s. I have a 22 ft Harris. I am also looking for a newer pontoon. Size wise it depends on where you are going to use it and if you have storage at the lake or are you trailering it to and from. If you get a 22 ft I would not go under a 90 hp motor and 4 stroke. 24 ft or larger the least I’d get is a 115 hp. Tritoons are nice and expensive. Most all pontoons I’ve seen are at a premium in price right now. I looked at a new one in January and the guy told me that the manufacturer was not even taking anymore orders till August. I’m going to hold off and keep the one I have until winter or the market is saturated and declines.

20. Member
    I've got a Bennington 22' tritoon with a 150. Easily pulls a tube with a few kids on it with plenty of power to spare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast