Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a dealer demo boat?

I'll finally be in the market for a new to me boat within the next two months and I really don't want to buy someone else's headache. I got to thinking about buying a dealer demo thinking that it would be broken in correctly, have upgraded electronics and steady use. Who here has gone down that route and what was your experience? Would you do it again? Were there any issues with your boat?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bassmaster2003; 06-09-2021 at 12:27 PM.
    2019 Ranger Z520c
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS

2. Member
    I wouldn't think twice about buying a demo boat as long as its from a reputable dealer. That is of course if there is a reasonable reduction in price. 1 benefit of buying a demo is there is any issues with any equipment from the factory, they would have fixed it under warranty so you wouldnt have too. Saves you a trip back to the dealer. Or possibly a lemon motor.
    I bought a few cars and trucks that were demos and never regretted my decision.

My current boat in my signature was a dealer demo. It had a whopping 17 hours on it and not a single scratch. I figured I saved several thousand and I am still considered the first owner. After this experience, I would buy one again!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Awesome! What would be a reasonable reduction in price, $3k-$5k depending on hours, year, etc.?
    2019 Ranger Z520c
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Member
    I bought an FLW camera boat in 2015 and saved about 8k on a Ranger z521c with about 49hrs. Very happy with my choice

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter View Post
    I bought an FLW camera boat in 2015 and saved about 8k on a Ranger z521c with about 49hrs. Very happy with my choice
    Who would I reach out to for something like that, FLW? or was it a dealer that you went through?
    2019 Ranger Z520c
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS

7. Member
    I would in a heartbeat. Best of both worlds IMO......especially when you're considered the first owner and get full warranties. My '12 Z520 was a FLW camera boat with ~70 hrs on it. Was like new with full warranties and a good discount.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    I would in a heartbeat. Best of both worlds IMO......especially when you're considered the first owner and get full warranties. My '12 Z520 was a FLW camera boat with ~70 hrs on it. Was like new with full warranties and a good discount.
    Cool beans. I have my eye on a demo boat. Hopefully it doesn't sell between now and August.
    2019 Ranger Z520c
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster2003 View Post
    Cool beans. I have my eye on a demo boat. Hopefully it doesn't sell between now and August.
    Good luck with that. If it's a good price then I don't see it lasting until August.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

10. Member
    I know but a guy can hope, right? Lol
    2019 Ranger Z520c
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS

11. Member
    I bought Bill Horne's demo 1997 519 SVS in 1998 from Sandi and Nick at Anglers Choice in Martinsville, VA and still have it. Have no issues, love that boat and will miss it when I trade it on a new Z520C next week :) She has served me well and been taken care of.

12. Banned
    I'll finally be in the market for a new to me boat within the next two months and I really don't want to buy someone else's headache. I got to thinking about buying a dealer demo thinking that it would be broken in correctly, have upgraded electronics and steady use. Who here has gone down that route and what was your experience? Would you do it again? Were there any issues with your boat?

Thanks
    Not dealer demo but I bought an MLF Z18 that was fished two tournaments in 2018-2019 season (NC and NY). No regrets. Paid for boat, motor and single axle trailer (retail per BPS website) with full factory warranties. Got upgraded electronics (Carbon 9s, SS3D, 2D/DI, thru hull 2D, Hydrowave 2.0), upgraded 36v TM, 2 power pole blades, hydraulic jackplate, dual axle trailer, 4 29 series batteries, and some other stuff such as keel protector, stainless steel skeg guard for free. Only downside was driving 2000 miles round trip from Tampa, FL to Lake Mary, OH to get it. Would do again in a heart beat.

13. Member
    I also bought a 2016 FLW staff boat. Got it through C&O Marine in Tennessee. Low hours, almost all at low rpms. It had gone back to Ranger for new carpet and new trailer tires. I was the original owner. Paid 10k less than a new boat (at least) and they did a lot of upgrades for me like an Ultrex, extra graphs and brackets, stereo, extra spare tire, etc. Overall a good experience.

14. Member
    I bought one of Rodney's Tritons at Jet-A-Marina back in 2004, 100% perfect experience would definitely recommend looking into it. Just be sure of the dealer you are working with, go over the boat well when picking it up, take a test drive, save some cash on the deal. A good friend purchased another one from Rodney and Jet-A-Marina with the same experience.

15. Member
    Who would I reach out to for something like that, FLW? or was it a dealer that you went through?
    I spotted it on a dealer lot. It was at Days boats in Ky. And I believe they had quite a few of the Ranger pros boats when I bought this one. It was late in 2015 and the 2016’s had already started showing up on dealer lots,so that might have helped them accept my offer

16. Member
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I'll keep checking those dealers to see what they have.
    2019 Ranger Z520c
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS

17. Member
    It would be worth it to contact the dealer well in advance of them having it to sell and express your interest in being on a waiting list to be contacted for such a deal. Could be you get a deal that never reaches the general public’s eyes.!! Just saying.!!
    Last edited by clayshooter; 06-09-2021 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Grammar correction

18. Member
    Bought my last 2 rangers from rob kilby a ranger rep for Arkansas and Oklahoma saved thousands and were loaded with all the best equipment never had any problems he takes care of his stuff .

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerrobert View Post
    Bought my last 2 rangers from rob kilby a ranger rep for Arkansas and Oklahoma saved thousands and were loaded with all the best equipment never had any problems he takes care of his stuff .
    I did buy my 1992 361 that way as well, and it was same thing,saved a ton and had all the latest and greatest goodies of the day

20. Member
    Good friend bought a dealer boat. Registered as first owner, as stated above, he contacted dealer prior to them ordering boat. He spec it to his options, colors etc, after putting a deposit down. Took delivery with 5 hours on it at a reduced price. Yes he had to wait a while but was worth the wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast