Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I lied. I just checked on my Lowrance graph and one of the custom guages is the fuel flow senor.

Should watch this fuel flow sensors to see if it shows any issues? No clue as to what I even need to look for.

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nicapopolis View Post
    Any one have thoughts on replacing the VST filter? I read that those cone shaped filters can actually take a good amount of gunk before they fail, so I just wasn't sure if it was worth checking. I do have to remove the lower covers I think.

I may just need to test with the new primer bulb and the fuel flow transducer removed.

3. Member
    Well, onto the VST filter and maybe the crankshaft position sensor. Commit to changing fuel lines and anti siphon?

After that I will have to send her to the dealer I guess.

I took the boat out today and the boat got on plane great. Went 5 miles to a spot fished for awhile. When done fishing there the boat fired right up. Went a couple miles, fished for awhile. Boat fired back up fine but this time it did the same bogging down issue after cruising about 40 MPH to our next spot. After that it would not fire up, so we fished for awhile. Finally got it to fire back up, got on plane, but instantly started bogging down when I started trimming the motor (increasing RPM?). Then it died and didn't want to fire back over. Took the trolling motor back to the ramp.

We were soo stoked! We thought the simple fuel primer fix did it... nope....

Now the issue doesn't seem as intermittent. It seems the boat works well for the first few runs, then after that this issue occurs. Is the computer maybe causing this after a certain temp?

Lots of questions and I really do appreciate everyone's thoughts on this issue.

4. Member
    The saga continues.

Got a hold of Crowley Marine and I can't say enough about the customer service received directly from Dave Crowley. He talked to his guys and given the symptoms and age they are leaning towards VST and/or lift pump. Will need vacuum and pressure guages to test.

Anyway, I bypassed the fuel flow transducer today and replaced the fuel water separator on the motor again.

Fired her up and not sure the VST sounds all that great. With the keys in the start position it sure sounds like bad bearings, but maybe this is the normal sound?

Here are some videos....

https://youtube.com/shorts/mB_7uZYS2ds?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/GL2WAMIGAcg?feature=share

5. Member
    Sorry for the continued updates, but I wanted to document this publicly in the event someone has a similar issue.

Next steps to be completed this week...

1. Replace lift pump... if that works, awesome
    2. Replace VST

Even if 1 or both of these are needed I will still get her scheduled to see a tech... they are just out 6 weeks. We have just had too fun of a summer with the family to stop boating. The 6 week time frame should work as hunting season starts kicking in anyway.

6. Member
    Well, it looks like option 1 above worked. I replaced the lift pump last Thursday just hours before we left on a trip to Kansas.

She fired right up beautifully. Better than she had been since I owned the boat. Ran awesome all weekend. Not a single issue. Very happy with the performance of this motor. When I turn the key... she barks!

Glad it was the cheaper of the 2 parts. Now I can send the VST back.

Nice to be able to put this thread to bed too (hopefully). Thanks everyone for the help.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicapopolis View Post
    Well, it looks like option 1 above worked. I replaced the lift pump last Thursday just hours before we left on a trip to Kansas.

She fired right up beautifully. Better than she had been since I owned the boat. Ran awesome all weekend. Not a single issue. Very happy with the performance of this motor. When I turn the key... she barks!

Glad it was the cheaper of the 2 parts. Now I can send the VST back.

Nice to be able to put this thread to bed too (hopefully). Thanks everyone for the help.

2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123