Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You won't know until you hit the water. Hard to tell performance on the muffs.

2. Member
    Took the boat out today. Fixed the prop issue
    19P prop worked.

If I pump the primer bulb until it is rock hard. Should it lose pressure on its own? I am going to replace the bulb anyway, but I could only get this boat to fire up and run somewhat well if I pumped the bulb a bunch of times to get it like a rock.

Is part of the primer bulbs job go hold fuel pressure? So if failing inside could it be causing this?

3. Member
    I had a 2007 225 etec and same thing would happen running then just die and then would start back up. I brought to dealer and after replacing a 500.00 part the black vapor canister ? It still did it. I asked them to put computer on it and it turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor . It also did not throw a code !!

4. Member
    No, the primer bulb is not intended to hold pressure. Remember the name is “primer” bulb for inital priming / filling of the fuel system. Once the engine runs, fuel flows thru the bulb and pressure is relieved. Failed primer bulbs cause more issues with fuel restriction than anything else.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    I had a 2007 225 etec and same thing would happen running then just die and then would start back up. I brought to dealer and after replacing a 500.00 part the black vapor canister ? It still did it. I asked them to put computer on it and it turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor . It also did not throw a code !!
    Thank you for the recommendation. Apparently there was a service bulletin about this.

Bulletin 2014-01(W)

Reading some forums about this it sounds just like the issue I am having. It might be a cheap fix to try.

6. Member
    Not a bulletin related to your age engine ( was related to a small serial group) but the CPS is cheap if you want to try throwing a new one at the engine, but does not sound from what you are saying the engine is doing it will be a CPS problem. The outboard stops dead like you turn the key off when it is bad. One thing for certain, seeing your battery picture in the Champ's owners section, is get rid of those wing nuts on the battery asap.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    Not a bulletin related to your age engine ( was related to a small serial group) but the CPS is cheap if you want to try throwing a new one at the engine, but does not sound from what you are saying the engine is doing it will be a CPS problem. The outboard stops dead like you turn the key off when it is bad. One thing for certain, seeing your battery picture in the Champ's owners section, is get rid of those wing nuts on the battery asap.
    10-4

8. Member
    One other item.. in two of the times the motor bogged down and started cutting out it was after going over boat wakes.

Maybe electrical sensor related? Back to the potential failing CPS?

9. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Have you checked the big blue capacitor for leaks? Pull the rubber boot down and see if it's been leaking or dried white stuff on top of it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Have you checked the big blue capacitor for leaks? Pull the rubber boot down and see if it's been leaking or dried white stuff on top of it.
    No, I have not. Thank you for the suggestion. I will check it tomorrow.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Capacitor looks perfect. Could it still be bad?
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Not usually. Sounds like it's time for a fuel pressure test.

13. Member
    As I look back through the service notes I have I don't see anything about the VST filter being replaced.

The motor is 15 years old. It seems if there was some bad or sitting fuel that could have caused issues, maybe replacing the VST filter is a good thing to do.

14. Member
    Received the primer bulb today. It comes with plastic hose clamps. Currently there are metal worm gear hose clamps on there.

Should I use the plastic clamps that come with the primer bulb? It is the BRP bulb with the yellow ends.

15. Member
    The snapper clamps will provide a nice tight circular clamp but the are prone to breaking. If the fuel hose is stiff from age be sure to change that out. age. The worm clamps do not provide a nice circular camp and are prone to over torque resulting in air leaks.. the best clamps are the otiker type.

16. Member
    I am not sure what this is in my fuel line. It has a wire that goes somewhere. This is mounted on the wall on my battery compartment before the primer bulb. Not sure where the wire goes.

What is this?
    Could is cause any issues?
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Member
    That is a fuel flow transducer, used to provide fuel flow numbers to a gauge, usually a tachometer. It can cause fuel restriction. If you don’t have a fuel flow meter then remove it and splice in a 3/8 double ended barbed fitting.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    That is a fuel flow transducer, used to provide fuel flow numbers to a gauge, usually a tachometer. It can cause fuel restriction. If you don’t have a fuel flow meter then remove it and splice in a 3/8 double ended barbed fitting.
    I do not have any sort of fuel flow meter. My guess is that this fuel flow transducer is from the factory.

I added the new primer bulb today. I have tried pumping the hell out of this thing and the only fuel I can feel is the little bit that was left in the line. This primer should fairly simply pull fuel from the tank, right?

Maybe it is the anti siphon or this fuel flow transducer causing the issue.

Or should I fire up the motor and have the fuel pump get the prime started?

19. Member
    I recommended you remove the fuel flow transducer because it can cause restriction.

20. Member
    Any one have thoughts on replacing the VST filter? I read that those cone shaped filters can actually take a good amount of gunk before they fail, so I just wasn't sure if it was worth checking. I do have to remove the lower covers I think.

I may just need to test with the new primer bulb and the fuel flow transducer removed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast