Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garmin or Humminbird?

That’s never been asked before. ;)

Here’s is my scenario. I sold my boat and ordered a new one. On my last boat I had a 106, 94 / GT54 and LS. Love Garmin, no complaints but before I sold the boat, I actually removed the LS and sold it separately. I just wasn’t using it and I know on my next boat, I will not be getting LS or any other manufacturers implementation of it.

So if you were in my scenario, would you look at Humminbird? The reason I am asking is that it is difficult to deny the imaging on Humminbird, even when compared to what I’ve seen on GT56 videos.

2. Member
    Have you narrowed down the features that are most important to you?

I have both and can say you’re better off with an Ultra and a GT56

You know Garmin thus no learning curve

The Helix has just slightly better imaging than the above mentioned maybe 5%

To get the best imaging from HB you have to get a Solix or Apex and owning two Solix’s I can say you will have more issues than you’re ready for

HB’s navigation system is not even close to Garmin’s and you will not be happy

HB has no data management software and you at least have home port with Garmin

The only true advantage HB has is the Mega 360

Both have great customer service but you will spend less time needing to call Garmin
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Not being a SA, but if you like the Mega over Garmin then I don't think you would be happy with Garmin.....

Why not give HB a try.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Have you narrowed down the features that are most important to you?
    Side imaging is the feature that I use and value most.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Not being a SA, but if you like the Mega over Garmin then I don't think you would be happy with Garmin.....

Why not give HB a try.....
    Not saying that I am not happy with Garmin, just wondering if there is a reason to look at another side if you will.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    I have both and can say you’re better off with an Ultra and a GT56

You know Garmin thus no learning curve

The Helix has just slightly better imaging than the above mentioned maybe 5%

To get the best imaging from HB you have to get a Solix or Apex and owning two Solix’s I can say you will have more issues than you’re ready for

HB’s navigation system is not even close to Garmin’s and you will not be happy

HB has no data management software and you at least have home port with Garmin

The only true advantage HB has is the Mega 360

Both have great customer service but you will spend less time needing to call Garmin
    Great response and highly worthy of consideration.

8. Member
    i have owned both helix and solix and garmin echo map uhd. one thing i can say you will spend more time fishing and less time trying to get units working with garmin, humminbird side ban may be a little better but not enough for me to choose over garmin.

9. Banned
    Probably a shock to those that have read my posts but Garmin finally has something with the GT56 transducer. I was loaned an 8612 and GT56 awhile back and ran it for a few trips. The last two trips I only ran the birds for mapping and was in a part of the lake I don't fish often so I had to look for new targets to fish. I had no trouble finding crappie on the SI and the Di is really good. It was really nice to have one system to use with the LS on the bow.

The Si is not as good when scanning over 80 ft and less than 8 feet of water. I feel the Di is better at this point and shows crappie in brush better. I won't be switching because I use the mega 360 a lot and have a boat load of HB equipment I just upgraded. If you like Garmin and don't use 360 they at least now have a serviceable solution.

10. Member
    Quite some people (including me) are using a mix of HB and Garmin.

11. Member
    Ever thinking about trolling motor functionality?

I have Humminbird and Connected Ultrex.
    I had 2 Echomap Plus 93sv previously, and some lowrance Carbons.

I love my MEGA SIDE IMAGING...... i have never seen the GT56 in person.
    If its really only 5% difference, Id probably bring out the Garmins :)

Why?

2 Networked Helix Units equals .....

1) $100 plus each, for mapping cards, that do not share. Base mapping is unusable, in my oppinion. So add $200
    2) For AutoChart (mapping your own lakes) Garmin uses a $15 SD card from walmart to store it, AND it shares between echo map units as you record on one it records on both. Humminbird wants $100 for each ZeroLines Card (card to save the autochart on) So add $100 or more if you want to map your own lakes, and THEY DONT SHARE across helix units.
    3) $50+ Ethernet cable, plus two $30 Dongles (retail pricing, but still) - Garmin? Use a standard cat5/cat6 cable for $15 or free if you have one lying around (sure its not waterproof but never had issues)
    4) Connectivity to trolling motor? Correct me if I am wrong but the Ghost trolling motor is wifi enabled? no wires needed? Hummbinbird needs an ethernet box $200+ plus, cables adapter to hook built in MDI to Helix 10 on front $30 adapter cable again.

5) Garmin Units are touch screen, Helix are not
    6) Garmins just "work", at least mine did,..... Helix.... I have wired to their own battery, they dont let me save any settings because im constantly resetting to factory default (I am very tech savvy, so its not me breaking it)

7) Mobile app - Garmins has mapping on it, so you can map spots before you get there, their base maps are great....not sure what additional mapping you can buy for them.... Humminbird you have to BUY the map again to view it even if you own the lakemaster cards that are $100+ ..... crazy in my opinion. Humminbird's apps have left me desiring way more...... Garmins active captain was far superior.

Lowrance let you mirror your carbon screen to an iphone or tablet, great for a passenger in the boat wanting to look as well.

If I had to do it over...... I'd be ready to give Garmin another shot. I hated the echomap Plus side imaging and down imaging, it wasnt even worth anything to us.....it sucked. But the 2d was phenomenal.....and mapping was just easier.

This all coming from a guy who loves the humminbird side imaging (havent invested in 360 yet, but could possibly) but ....allllll the extra money I have spent is insane, and I track all my setups in excel spreadsheets, im that guy...... Humminbird nickel and dimes for basic functionality that Garmin provides for free/cheap.
    I spent months shopping for deals and getting deals on items from resellers or people selling brand new in box....

Like i got my helix 12 MSI g3n for $1450..... i couldnt imagine paying $2,000+ for it....and you see im still whining about the cost of everything on my boat.... :)

Stick with the Garms
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

12. Member
    Most people in the crappie world are using both HB and Garmin. They are using HB with 360mega to hunt down cover and fish. Once the find the fish then they switch their attention to LS to catch the fish. While the tactic was born in the crappie circles, a lot of pro bass anglers have been using the same setup. Personally I run a Helix 12SI Mega unit at the console and Garmin1242xsv with LS on the bow.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    Most people in the crappie world are using both HB and Garmin. They are using HB with 360mega to hunt down cover and fish. Once the find the fish then they switch their attention to LS to catch the fish. While the tactic was born in the crappie circles, a lot of pro bass anglers have been using the same setup. Personally I run a Helix 12SI Mega unit at the console and Garmin1242xsv with LS on the bow.
    I know several crappie guys that did this, and went back to Garmin and run two livescopes now that perspective mode is out. I agree with you, if I was a serious tournament guy I would have both brands on front.

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    We find crappie and brush on garmin side scan all the time .

15. Member
    Have to compare apples with apples. So for upper end that means Helix or their new Apex to an 8 series GPSMap and GT56. The 8 series still has higher screen resolution over any Bird and is blindingly fast and reliable. I have found that with the GT56 the scroll speed needs to be on auto for the best images (the 52 liked fast scroll) and TVG low or off with either factory brightness and contrast or only slight variations to brightness and contrast. You then get exceptional target separation on Sidevu and it is right there with HB. 2 d is fantastic and downvu is also magic (have to set that to a different frequency to Sidevu so you don't have the two interfering and darkening up the screen on sidevu). Then there is customer service, Active Captain with screen mirroring and controlling the sounder from the 2nd screen, the IPS glass screen, the Garmin support...just all points to Garmin now especially as the other brands Livescope take offs are no better and Garmin will improve theirs again soon given how long they have had theirs out. Cheers

16. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    You do raise a good point most were trying to compare gt52 with a 600 dollar screen to a 1200 dollar or higher mega .The 8 series and gt56 has looked very good on the videos posted

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutspinner View Post
    Side imaging is the feature that I use and value most.
    Then use a Humminbird. Its that simple.

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Duplicate removed

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Then use a Humminbird. Its that simple.
    I reckon that would have been the case with the GT54 as power was down. 56 has same power as Bird for side and you get those inky black shadows but if anything fish are whiter/brighter. Cheers

20. Member
    The 56 needs to be run differently to the earlier trans transducers. There are some really nice screenshots coming out but in the past some not so good especially when running to fast or with TVG cranked up or with down and side on the same frequency. Get that set right and it is great. Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast