Need help with set up

Hey guys, need helping setting up a 175 with a 6in jp and a 90 2 stroke Merc. So rn I'm running a 21p vortech alum. 42mph at 5400rpm jack plate is all the way down. I tried a 21p ballistics and the results were 42mph at 6k rpm. I'm lost need to get a base line then I'll twek.

2. Member
    I have a 90hp converted to a 115hp on a 6" jack plate set at 5.5-5.75" prop to pad with a cupped 22" pitch laser 2 and 44-45 mph at 5800 rpm is all I can get out of it.

3. Member
    I have a 175TXW with a 90optimax tuned by Simmons turning a Powertech PRO3R23. By myself I can bump 50-51mph with 4" hydraulic jackplate. I could turn a 24p I believe (holeshot/top end) but havent bit the bullet to purchase another prop. The prop that was option "B" was the powertech PTR3 24p. Speeds are running motor 5800-6000rpm but mostly 5800.

4. Member
    Thanks for the reply guys but mines a carb 2 stroke I should have out that in the original post. I can't compare your set ups with the opti. Recommend work for me is 5500 opti I think is closer to 6k.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjbassin View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys but mines a carb 2 stroke I should have out that in the original post. I can't compare your set ups with the opti. Recommend work for me is 5500 opti I think is closer to 6k.
    Nothing wrong with that, those carbed 2 strokes are great motors that will run forever. Was the 21" pitch you tried a Michigan wheel Ballistic stainless prop? If so that is a good prop for that motor, once you get it set right what is your prop to pad distance?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan1233 View Post
    I have a 175TXW with a 90optimax tuned by Simmons turning a Powertech PRO3R23. By myself I can bump 50-51mph with 4" hydraulic jackplate. I could turn a 24p I believe (holeshot/top end) but havent bit the bullet to purchase another prop. The prop that was option "B" was the powertech PTR3 24p. Speeds are running motor 5800-6000rpm but mostly 5800.
    I was looking at a 23" pitch PTR3 what is the difference between it and the PRO3? Is it worth the extra $100 for the PRO?

7. Member
    Yes it was the stainless ballistic from Michigan. Liked the prop gave me alot of lift. I'll have to measure my prop to pad this weekend and I'll get back to. The prop shop I was dealing with wanted to send a 23 but the ballistic doesn't come in that pitch . Then some more back and forth with them and they're telling me yeah your doing pretty good with the vortex just leave it on there. And that's how this post came about. Doesn't make sense to me, with the 21p ballistic I picked up 600rpm Soo that's telling me I can go up in pitch which in terms should mean more speed because I'm moving more water.

8. Member
    If that is 42 mph GPS speed and 6000 rpm is accurate that means you are getting a lot of prop slip with that 21" pitch stainless which is odd because usually an aluminum prop will have more slip. Sounds like the motor height needs adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    If that is 42 mph GPS speed and 6000 rpm is accurate that means you are getting a lot of prop slip with that 21" pitch stainless which is odd because usually an aluminum prop will have more slip. Sounds like the motor height needs adjusted.
    That's true. I'm pretty sure he never did state if that jack plate he is running is hydraulic or not.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I was looking at a 23" pitch PTR3 what is the difference between it and the PRO3? Is it worth the extra $100 for the PRO?
    The PRO3 was recommended by powertech and Ken at PropGods, if im not mistaken the PRO3 isnt offered in the 24P and they have had better performance out of the PRO on the tin boats.

11. Member
    Yes speed is gps and it's a manual jack plate all the way down. As soon as I get a chance today I'm going to measure prop to pad.

I have a 2005 185 with ss solas 13x21 and can ger 44-45 @5500 rpm

Yes speed is gps and it's a manual jack plate all the way down. As soon as I get a chance today I'm going to measure prop to pad.
    Ideally when it comes to motor height, you want your cavitation or anti ventilation plate .5" - 1" above the very bottom of the transom.

There is a really makeshift way of determining your engine height if you don't have a yardstick or something the likes which I've done before involving trimming the motor parallel to the ground and taking your phone flashlight to it to see where it's at, but you have to be good with visual measurement determinations.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

14. Member
    Hey guys thanks for the help. This weekend I put a level on the ground then leveled boat and motor to the ground level. Measured pad to ground then measured center of prop shaft to ground. Subtracted prop shaft measurement from pad measurement and I'm 7in. I'm turning 5500rpm which is max rpm for my motor. Turning a 21p 12.75d aluminum vortex and I'm getting 42mph. Loaded with another guy, which is normally how I run. If I went higher with the jack plate boat handles like @$$.

15. Member
    Hey guys thanks for the help. This weekend I put a level on the ground then leveled boat and motor to the ground level. Measured pad to ground then measured center of prop shaft to ground. Subtracted prop shaft measurement from pad measurement and I'm 7in. I'm turning 5500rpm which is max rpm for my motor. Turning a 21p 12.75d aluminum vortex and I'm getting 42mph. Loaded with another guy, which is normally how I run. If I went higher with the jack plate boat handles like @$$.
    Raise it to about 5.5" prop to pad and try the stainless prop again.

16. Member
    Lowest 'v' to prop center is 7"? You have a long shaft motor?
    Mine on transom, lowest mounting available gives me 5.5" on a 20" shaft.
    With 4" atlas all the way down now is 4.75" after redrilling the plate for a lower mount.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

17. Member
    He might be measuring from the "step", not the pad
    2009 Tracker PT190
    80lb Xi5
    Dual Power Poles
    6inch Plate
    HDS
    Stainless ComancheSteering wheel
    Stainless pop-up tiedowns
    Comanche Passenger rodholder
    Boat Buckle Rod Straps
    JBL Stereo with JBL10" Marine Sub.
    150 ProXS, 25 Trophy Plus, 72mph GPS (light), 24 Fury @68mph (heavy)