using future index vs etfs

Was thinking of converting some of my SPY into the equivalent SPX calls/puts. My understanding is the SPX is European style, cash settled and gets the 1256 tax treatment where the premium is taxed as 60 percent long term capital gains and 40% short term. Anyone use these for option writing? I may use the minis so I can write at different strikes at the same time since the SPX is pretty pricey.
    Last edited by NitroZ7; 06-08-2021 at 07:47 PM.

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Never done it. But are you sure that options on the futures contract gets the tax treatment? I don't know.

There are also the micros, 1/10th the size of the minis. And requires less margin.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Never done it. But are you sure that options on the futures contract gets the tax treatment? I don't know.

There are also the micros, 1/10th the size of the minis. And requires less margin.
    The minis definitely seem to be the way to go. I hold a long position in SPY so the minis seem to track the price since it is 1/10. The tax treatment is for future index options. CBOE has it listed on their site with an explanation of the tax benefits to using the index options versus SPY. I noticed that NUSI and JEPI both use the index options SPX and NDX instead of the ETFs and I found out that the tax treatment was the reason.