NRX+ 872s... old vs new

Here's 17 minutes of me rambling about the new NRX+s.

I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

Great video. What about fish catches with each? Do they load the same and feel the same when fighting a fish?

3. Member
    Great video. I watched your previous video on the old 872s and you mentioned what a great caster it was. I didn’t have the older version, but I did pick up the new one. It is a little stiffer than I expected. Still getting used to it. Do you consider the new one to be a great caster?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster14 View Post
    Great video. I watched your previous video on the old 872s and you mentioned what a great caster it was. I didn’t have the older version, but I did pick up the new one. It is a little stiffer than I expected. Still getting used to it. Do you consider the new one to be a great caster?
    I'm still putting time into it, BUT the new one is a LITTLE stiffer than the previous one. The tip tends to want to snap back more. I'd imagine it might lose a tiny bit of distance vs the old 872s but I'm not going to go out and do scientific tests to prove it.

I also got a new NRX+
    Mine is the 901 SJR and I have the old model 901 SJR

The grip is way nicer IMO, I personally can't tell the difference in the blank although the newer version is a bit more responsive but not stiffer IMO.

I will miss the blue on each guide myself I do like the hook hanger location, sometimes my line would get stuck on the older version hook keeper.

Will see soon if I can feel the difference when fishing them both, but the 901 was already superior is sensativity.

Oh, and like in the video, the balance of the plus version is better and the rod is lighter.

7. Member
    What do you use that 901 for? Been thinking about getting a 901 or 902 but not sure which one

8. Member
    Curious how long the handle is from front to back on your NRX+ 901? I have a Conquest 902s love it but wish the handle was 1" shorter but understand balance might of been a concern for Loomis. If its shorter without compromising balance than I might grab a 901.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMcClure View Post
    What do you use that 901 for? Been thinking about getting a 901 or 902 but not sure which one
    901 is the best 1/16 hair jig rod I ever used (5-8lb braid). I never went above 1/32 gophers on my Neds with it for bottom contact. 902 NRX I fished a bit heavier bottom contact and paddle tails up in the column. Both very good at keeping smallmouth pinned on light wire hooks (even in the current I fish). I had multiples of them and the 872s.

I waited a long time for them to offer the handles of the Conquests (which I have three) so I’m adding some new ones.
    Last edited by TravisM; 06-18-2021 at 11:08 PM.

10. Member
    Punch, THANK YOU! I have a bunch of "old" NRX's and I really was hoping to find a review that touched on the critical changes and this nailed it. Much appreciated. Tight lines!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2eachhisown View Post
    Punch, THANK YOU! I have a bunch of "old" NRX's and I really was hoping to find a review that touched on the critical changes and this nailed it. Much appreciated. Tight lines!
    Thanks for watching!