Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Do everything 12V Lithium Battery?

I am seeking a do everything 12v lithium for my 17' Maverick flats boat with a Yamaha 90 2 stroke. The style of fishing is sight fishing so unless there is heavy wind the TM is running 8 to 9 hours at slow to moderate speed for stealth.
    I have a power pole that gets used a few dozen times a day on average and a basic Simrad NSS7 that stays on all day for navigation. I currently have group 31 AGM for the 12v Minn Kota Terrova
    and a smaller AGM for starting, power pole and navigation gps. Believe it or not shedding 70lbs on this boat is a pretty big deal. I am wondering if there is a single lithium battery that could handle this load and still start the motor at the end of the day? For those using a lithium battery for starting, what is the lowest state of charge that will still start a outboard?

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    we have tested the IONIC 125ah starting a 250 ProXS 2 stroke when the battery was at 20% and it still spins it like it did at 90%
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    we have tested the IONIC 125ah starting a 250 ProXS 2 stroke when the battery was at 20% and it still spins it like it did at 90%
    That is some good info and the Ionic 125ah is at the top of my list under consideration.

4. Member
    Your motor has pull start capability correct? Either my spindly arms or a low SOC lithium should crank that motor right up.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    our 120 ah impulse Platinum cranking battery w bluetooth would be a great fit.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Your motor has pull start capability correct? Either my spindly arms or a low SOC lithium should crank that motor right up.
    I am not sure about the 90hp, my old 70 Yamaha had a rope. Once this motor is warm it sounds like it fires before turning even 1 RPM.

7. Member
    Pretty sure that your 90TLR has rope starting ability. Rope might be up under the top cowling or with your owners manual. The manual that shows the motor being rope started in a pinch.

8. Member
    The 125 Ionic is what I would choose and then either carry a portable mini jump pack like a microstart or add the ride on emergency jump start from Ionic.
    2018 Ranger 1880 MS
    200 Verado L4
    Solix 12 SI G1
    XNT 14 HWT dual spectrum 2D on Y cable
    Ulterra 112 Ipilot Link
    AS GPS HS
    Ionic lithium batteries 3)100 1)125 installed 6/20
    MK460PC on board charger
    Stealth 1 DC lithium so-so about 6 amps per battery

9. Member
    That is what I was thinking.

10. Member
    I would think your 31 agm could be your one battery for everything. Give that a try first. If that works then getting one lithium could solve your problems. I'm currently in the rebuilding stage of running my boat on just one battery. Last phase of this will be a lithium battery for everything. Gonna take 80# out of my 14.5 foot boat. Plus free up some storage space.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

11. Member
    May want to turn off electronics when not using them.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    I would think your 31 agm could be your one battery for everything. Give that a try first. If that works then getting one lithium could solve your problems. I'm currently in the rebuilding stage of running my boat on just one battery. Last phase of this will be a lithium battery for everything. Gonna take 80# out of my 14.5 foot boat. Plus free up some storage space.
    That is exactly what I am going to try for an up coming 6 day trip this month. I am going to keep both batteries in the boat (just in case) but run everything off the Odyssey PC1700 agm. I ordered a digital meter with a 100 amp shunt and will conduct an energy audit for my typical "long day use". I will be able to record watt hours used.

13. Member
    Well my trip got canceled so I didn't get to try a typical day's use energy audit. I went ahead and took advantage of the current sale an ordered a 125ah Ionic battery from Drewtech this afternoon. I did get a few
    interesting numbers playing around with the new meter. The most significant is that my Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke pulls only 160 amps when starting. The trim motor around 20 and the power pole 11 to 15 amps. Two different chart plotters only pull 1 amp
    which surprised me. The trolling motor pulled 5 amps on high but I don't believe it is correct without the load of the boat in the water.

14. Member
    Today I received the 125ah Ionic battery intended to power everything 12v on my boat. I thought I had done the research but recently saw another post on this board questioning if a lithium battery could be used with a stator charging outboard motor. The thread can be found here http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1025098 The 2009 Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke on my skiff definitely uses a stator for charging, output is 10 amps. I am not really worried about the Ionic battery but am concerned about the stator and outboard electronics after reading the above. Can anyone with experience running a stator charging system and a Ionic battery chime in?

15. mikesxpress
    Did you inform the seller where you purchased the battery what your rig configuration was prior to the purchase? They should be able to answer.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 35spline View Post
    Well my trip got canceled so I didn't get to try a typical day's use energy audit. I went ahead and took advantage of the current sale an ordered a 125ah Ionic battery from Drewtech this afternoon. I did get a few
    interesting numbers playing around with the new meter. The most significant is that my Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke pulls only 160 amps when starting. The trim motor around 20 and the power pole 11 to 15 amps. Two different chart plotters only pull 1 amp
    which surprised me. The trolling motor pulled 5 amps on high but I don't believe it is correct without the load of the boat in the water.
    That sounds reasonable. There is a much greater momentary surge of current (almost unmeasurable with typical ammeters) when the starter motor is first energized but then the current flow drops of greatly. I am surprised somewhat to read that it was as high as 160 amps. I would have expected a bit less.

Did you measure the current flow with the battery app?

17. Member
    Today I received the 125ah Ionic battery intended to power everything 12v on my boat. I thought I had done the research but recently saw another post on this board questioning if a lithium battery could be used with a stator charging outboard motor. The thread can be found here http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1025098 The 2009 Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke on my skiff definitely uses a stator for charging, output is 10 amps. I am not really worried about the Ionic battery but am concerned about the stator and outboard electronics after reading the above. Can anyone with experience running a stator charging system and a Ionic battery chime in?
    With all electrical equipment in the boat turned off did you see the current flow from the motor to the Ionic Li battery via the bluetooth app, shortly after the motor was started? If so, what was it? What was the SOC when the battery was used to start the motor?

I have a much smaller Ionic Li battery and it draws well above 10 amps. I would guess that yours does the same. And if so, the electrical system on your motor might not be able to maintain voltage with that much current flow. But since your motor does not need battery power to be operated it might not matter from that standpoint.

Is your question about the possibility of the electrical generation system being damaged or having a lesser life than it otherwise might?

18. Member
    Is your question about the possibility of the electrical generation system being damaged or having a lesser life than it otherwise might?
    Yes, that is my question. More specifically can the 125ah Ionic battery be used with a stator charging outboard without damaging the electrical generation system?

19. Member
    Yes, that is my question. More specifically can the 125ah Ionic battery be used with a stator charging outboard without damaging the electrical generation system?
    Might want to get in contact with the Ionic folks. Very easy to chat with. I believe they are running a Yamaha powered boat using an Ionic cranking battery. All Yams use what you call a stator charging system.

https://lithiumhub.com/

20. Member
    To make it more confusing, muddy the water if you will, Yamaha recommends certain batteries for certain models of their motors. In your case, they only recommend a flooded lead acid battery for the 90 HP two stroke. The kind of battery to which you can add water. Yamaha's approval of maintenance free lead acid, gel lead acid or AGM lead acid batteries only applies to their later and higher HP models.

Yamaha is is not saying that your motor can be harmed by the use of say an AGM lead acid battery. They are only telling folks what is known to work and work well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast