Man, do I need help....😉 ('95 ELPTO 115)

I recently bought a 1995 ELPTO 115 out of FL. It's in extraordinary shape for it's age. Upon receiving and installing it I noticed a "gurgling" sound when using the T/T when raising the motor. Serviced the T/T unit with new fluid and purged the air from the system. After a few cycles it simply quit working. Motor is working.

I called Mercury and they verified my thought that something was up with the hydraulics....seals, etc. They also stated that they design the units to last 10 to 15 years and recommended that I have the unit rebuilt, which I'm having done at present.

I decided to pull and install the T/T from my 75 ELPTO on the 115 as it's essentially the same unit and it works flawlessly. After a 13 month total rebuild of my boat I'm obviously anxious to water test the new to me engine and actually fish too!

So, with all of that said, I have a predicament. 3 wire vs 2 wire T/T units....

I've purchased the harness to do the conversion....(relays vs solenoids) However, they did NOT send any installation instructions....no schematics, etc. I've searched and searched all over the net with very lil success.

I think I know how to wire up the blue/green wires, but, am lost as to how to wire in the power and grounds. If I go direct to the battery I'm bypassing the switches so I know that's not the route. I'm VERY concerned about wiring things up incorrectly.

ANY suggestions, advice, schematics, etc etc etc are GREATLY appreciated!

Btw, I'm not a complete idiot hehehe.... totally rewired my entire boat myself.....25 circuits, soldered all connections, etc.

0607212202.jpg

0607212159_HDR.jpg
    0607212200a.jpg
    0607212200.jpg
    0607212159.jpg0607212158_HDR.jpg

2. Member
    you can mount relay harness any where evn in bilge hook black to - and red to + from batt ,on mtr starter bolts are good grnd
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    you can mount relay harness any where evn in bilge hook black to - and red to + from batt ,on mtr starter bolts are good grnd
    First, thank you for responding! Secondly, if I wire things up in that manner would that not bypass all 3 T/T switches? It would, seemingly, result in power directly to the relays with no switch interrupting the circuit?

Would I splice in blue and green to the corresponding wires as they egress from the plug and splice in the power somewhere in line with the switches/plug ........ground to a ground strap? Does the relay act as the switch and the signal come from simply wiring the blue/green wires from the plug?

That's the only way that makes any sense to me, but, I'm a loooooooong way from am electrical engineer...hehehe

Btw, I'm hoping this thread will act as a template for others as I haven't located anything here, or anywhere else, that gives direct instructions as to the how/why. There are a few debates, but, no direct explanations/directions.
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 06-08-2021 at 01:10 PM.

4. Member
    connect small blu and grn from key harness to relay harness connect +and - connect trim mtr wires your done
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    connect small blu and grn from key harness to relay harness connect +and - connect trim mtr wires your done
    Thank you Mr Joe....👍

6. Member