TDR2

Johnson - Yamaha hub kit conversion

I put a 2000 200hp Johnson on my 2000 202zx, and the prop that came with the Johnson blows out before I get on pad. Is there a hub kit that I can convert my yamaha prop to work on the OMC Johnson lower unit. Thanks!

2. Member
    The answer is not that simple. Putting Yam prop on a OMC outboard is not as common as using a Merc prop.
    What Type of Yam prop do you have?
    what type of prop is installed on the Johnson now? Is the blowout a new condition?

3. TDR2
    Just put the Johnson on. First test drive it kept blowing out, was never able to get it on pad.

The omc Johnson is a renegade 13 1/2” x 25p 4 blade

The Yamaha is a 14 1/2” x 24. 3 blade.

4. Member
    Bass Renegades are known for ventilation as you described. OMC offered this part - 126669 ventilation/ weed ring, to help overcome the issue.
    There is a service bulletin 2003-OI-P that covers the issue. Maybe Gearcaseman can elaborate more on that.

5. Member
    renegade needs vent holes and weed ring to work properly. also it likely needs marks propellers to freshen it up some and add cup to it if all stock and well used! a bravo1fs or xs would be a much better option to spend money on
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    Need to clarify that the Bass Renegade does not need vent holes because the blade hub/ exhaust barrel, is already smaller diameter than the the gearcase bullet. It is an over hub + thru hub exhaust. The hub / tube is typical diameter of a V4 gearcase.
    the weed / ventilation ring closes the gap to prevent over ventilation on acceleration.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    Need to clarify that the Bass Renegade does not need vent holes because the blade hub/ exhaust barrel, is already smaller diameter than the the gearcase bullet. It is an over hub + thru hub exhaust. The hub / tube is typical diameter of a V4 gearcase.
    the weed / ventilation ring closes the gap to prevent over ventilation on acceleration.
    i had a worked 25 gade with a weed ring and vent holes. it needs vent holes to dial it in and a weed ring to prevent blowout trust me!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The holes would have to been added as the Gade doesn't come with them, The Raker does come with vent holes.

9. Member
    Well alrighty then. When it works it works. I always compare a success like this to the success of the old school nascar engine crew chiefs. If a crew chief didn’t play around with different engine ideas, they never would have success on the track.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    Well alrighty then. When it works it works. I always compare a success like this to the success of the old school nascar engine crew chiefs. If a crew chief didn’t play around with different engine ideas, they never would have success on the track.

boger did mods on my raker and renegade.. made them a great prop
    MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    i had a worked 25 gade with a weed ring and vent holes. it needs vent holes to dial it in and a weed ring to prevent blowout trust me!
    I guess it just depends on your set up, if you are over propped with a Gade and and drilled vent than so be it. That said I never needed vent holes on a Gade. But now that I have used Trophies on the same boat for years I would never even consider a Gade again no matter what motor I had. Gades suck.
    OP, trash the Gade and buy a Trophy plus. Get a Michigan Wheel #200 hub kit for it, don't get the Merc hub kit. Speaking with experience.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    I guess it just depends on your set up, if you are over propped with a Gade and and drilled vent than so be it. That said I never needed vent holes on a Gade. But now that I have used Trophies on the same boat for years I would never even consider a Gade again no matter what motor I had. Gades suck.
    OP, trash the Gade and buy a Trophy plus. Get a Michigan Wheel #200 hub kit for it, don't get the Merc hub kit. Speaking with experience.
    i use a 24 bravo1 fs with 8 holes now, dad has 2 24p trophy plus props collecting dust. worth trying one out vs the bravo1 fs??
    MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    i use a 24 bravo1 fs with 8 holes now, dad has 2 24p trophy plus props collecting dust. worth trying one out vs the bravo1 fs??
    It can't hurt to try it. I'd say with the Ficht and those Talons it may be just about right.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.