OX66 Overheated.. Time for a new motor?

I went through a floating mat on Guntersville last weekend at around 5000rpm and apparently grabbed a bunch of weeds. I looked down at my dash a few seconds later and saw zero water pressure, and by the time my brain registered it the overheat alarm and light came on. I came off plane and turned key off, but not before the motor coughed up a cloud of white smoke.
    Took the cowling off and the head+thermostats were hot enough to burn you.

Took about 20 minutes to passively cool off in the air, and then it drove fine the rest of the day, but I never pushed it.

Is there anything I should do after an overheat? Any sort of major damage that could have been caused? I'm a guy who likes to push his motor at 6k rpms pretty much every trip, and now I'm worried she's gonna blow..

2. Member
    Do a compression check if it's 105 - 110 no problem, check water pressure
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    Take the water pick up screens off and make sure they are clear along with the passage, may not hurt to flush with the garden hose. If water pump and water pressure are ok I’d say you’re ok... had it many times on my 150 OX66 when I had it. Just wanted to make sure it got cleaned out and don’t run it hot.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

4. Member
    Awesome thanks guys.

I was planning to pull the spark plugs and visually inspect, as well as run compression checks.

A compression check would reveal damaged head gasket, correct?

The worst thing you can do is shut off the motor.... Quickly reverse and clean off weeds etc and rev the motor for water to get back into the cooling system... Shutting off a hot motor with no water comming in can be very bad.

Just my opinion.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    if it was a 4 stroke I would say your gonna have issues and at a minimum change the oil. BUT beings it is a 2 stroke, run it. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.