Question Active Target - Stable View Error?

So when I have my AT with Stable View selected, the bottom contour appears normal and flat when you'd expect it to be flat (no depth changes near by). However, when I try to switch it off, it appears as if I'm looking over a large drop off, and the bottom falls away from the boat at a 45 degree angle. Anyone have any ideas what would cause this? I know I can leave in in Stable View and it is usable, but I'd like to know what is up there. I really shouldn't need Stable View on, as I'm mostly fishing calm water. The pic below kind of represents what I'm seeing, with the yellow line representing the bottom contour.

AT.jpg

2. Member
    That’s interesting, I found the exact opposite when using it in February/March with the then-current software in both down and forward view, haven’t used it recently with newest software to know if it’s still doing that. So for me, with stable view ON, flat bottom appeared significantly sloped down towards right edge of screen. Toggle stableView off and bottom appeared flat (like it actually was).

So just an update on this, I did install all of the latest software versions this week. The unit still reacts the same and is extremely unusable with Stable View off. Just like I'm sitting on the edge of a ledge looking out. The unit is otherwise performing well though, I can see jerkbaits / swimjig at 80', although the screen is cluttered and has far less resolution at that distance. It seems to have some error in what the water depth is toward the end of its range, in around the 60-80' zone. It appears, that if the floor of the lake is level, there is a slight rise in depth (looks shallower) at those distances than what it really is. Not enough to worry about, just annoying. I really feel like getting Stable View off would clear up my image, but I just can't the way it is.

Anyone else tried/seeing this problem? I can't get a great answer from Lowrance (yet)....

4. Member
    After using AT for the first Time yesterday since updating to 20.3, I’m seeing the same behaviour - stable view has to be ON or else it looks like I’m sitting on a steep ledge. This is the exact opposite of what I experienced with older software in February/March!

5. Member
    Ive only had mine in the water one time and I need to learn what I’m looking at but I’m getting what I think is the same things as well.
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

6. Member
    Back in the water today and still learning. With stable view off I’m getting a level flat bottom reading. Turn it on and it shows the bottom falling off at a 45 degree angle? Otherwise all looks to be working fine. Running 20.3
    Last edited by htbboats; 06-25-2021 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Additional info
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

7. Member
    My dad and I both put AT on our boats late summer of this year. I've used my boat more and haven't had this sloped bottom issue. Today I took my dad and his boat out to help dial in his new gear and with stable view on, his bottom was sloped at 45 degree ish. I did not try it in the off mode. I had previously installed all current updates. I don't have this issue on my unit. I thought I must've had something wrong on the mount system but you guys have cleared that up. Is there any new info anyone can share about this and how to resolve it? Other than not using the stable view or vice versa? Thanks

when I messed with Stable View setting, my experience was with the setting on it made things more flat and with it off it seemed to slope down more. I always leave mine on for quite some time now.
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

9. Member
    I don't think this is a "stable view" issue. I think your possibly running into depth of water verses what your unit is manual set too and also range setting.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    I don't think this is a "stable view" issue. I think your possibly running into depth of water verses what your unit is manual set too and also range setting.
    sorry to revive an old thread but I’m seeing the same issue, bottom is sloping away. Can you clarify or has anyone figured out why this is? TIA
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

11. Member
    Stable View and Auto Depth Range both need to be on and the issue goes away in a few seconds from turning on.

12. Member
    my active target is also having stable view issues. the bottom is nice and accurate when stable view is off but at a 45 angle when its on. the picture looks so much better with it on but its unusable that way.

13. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I had been having issues with my AT missing a portion of the image from Zero out to the max depth at a downward angle basically looking like a wedge of missing image. It was obvious when I left my other units running sonar. The inference from those transducers scrolling across the screen made the missing portion obvious.

Long story short after contacting Lowrance support it was caused by Stableview turned ON. I turned it on 2 and a half years ago when I first got AT and never turned it off. Maybe like most users on here we were told to use it.

And yes, I experienced what robm mb described as the bottom was not accurate out at the distance . I'm glad I turned it off now because I now know that I was looking out at the end of the distance range and it was inaccurate.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P