1993 200 HP Mercury xri 2.5 l Cant get rpm over 4000 rpm

My motor won't go pass 4000 rpm. Some time I have to rev. up engine in neutral position to get it pass 4000 rpm and then put it in gear and then it will take off and go 60 mph but then it will eventfully go back to the 4000 rpm and going go about 30 mph. What is causing this to happen. I already had my vst cleaned and fuel pressure is good now. I change out one of my faulty plug and was causing the motor to not even go 30 mph. Please let me know what else to check.

2. Member
    NEVER rev it in neutral, what is compression on all 6 , what is fuel psi at 4000, does it have spark on all 6 at 4000 , report back with answers
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Why never rev in neural? 120 all 6. All have sparks. 38 psi when on move all the time.

4. Member
    internal design of gearcase risk of engagement into gear and explode gearcase , you likely have some elect problem start doing some ohm testing on stator and trigger , disconnect idle stabilizer and detonation controll to rule out those also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................