Lew’s Tournament Laser, Poor Casting Distance

I recently picked up a used Lew’s Tournament Laser TLW1SH and have been using it for about a month. This is my first Lew’s reel and had higher expectations. I have tried every setting possible including having the spool tension so loose the spool rattles side to side and it still will not cast anywhere near as far as my Shimano fleet. Am I missing something with the setup? It almost acts like the backlash control is always on even in the “free spool” setting.

2. Member
    The spool bearings could possibly be no good i had a revo rocket that was doing the same no distance etc. Sent it in and the spool bearings where no good.

3. Banned
    Tear it apart flush all the bearing out with lighter fluid or kerosene. Make sure they are 100% clean and dry. Relube with 1 small drop of premium oil. Alot of guys over oil their bearings which will slow a spool down a tremendous amount

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman90 View Post
    Tear it apart flush all the bearing out with lighter fluid or kerosene. Make sure they are 100% clean and dry. Relube with 1 small drop of premium oil. Alot of guys over oil their bearings which will slow a spool down a tremendous amount
    A spray gun cleaner that dries dry and use a very light thin viscosity oil.

5. Member
    Thanks for tips folks, I will tear it down. I have a bottle of the lube Shimano provides with their reels, will that be sufficient?

6. Member
    Got the bearings cleaned up and re-lubed. Had it out today and it made no difference and I almost felt it was worse. I might have bad bearings or something, but they seem to spin freely and were improved after cleaning. The reel doesn’t have enough value to warrant spending money on new bearings to find out. The only other thing I can think of is the magnetic brake system is malfunctioning, but I don’t see any obvious issues.

7. Member
    How is the free spool when you test it? With brakes or mag off it should be at least 4-5 seconds with freshly cleaned bearings. Also check the bearing on the spool to make sure it’s moving freely.

8. Member
    The free spool test proved fine, which made me scratch my head even more. I downloaded the owners manual on Lew's website and bingo, turns out I have some stuff to learn. Not only does it have a magnetic braking system, it also has a centrifugal system with plastic brakes like my Shimanos. I disregarded it as part of the magnetic system as it looks different from what I am used to seeing. All four brakes were engaged, I am certain this was causing my problems. When this rain clears up I will go make some casts and report back.

9. Member
    Thanks everyone for the advice, with the centrifigul brakes disenaged it now casts like it should. Is there any advantage to having both braking systems on one reel?