Thread: New batteries

New batteries

I need new batteries for my Rockwood Signature Ultralight. What do you all recommend to be reliable and won’t break the bank?

2. Banned
    How much boondocking do you do? Is your converter/charger stock?

3. Member
    I don’t do a lot of roadside camping and I have a generator if I plan to. I mostly need it for emergencies and to raise/lower my tongue jack when hooking up. My converter is stock.

4. Banned
    If your on-board charger is bone stock, I wouldn't bother to replace the batteries with anything fancy like golf cart batteries, lithium, or an AGM. Pick up a bargain buy, group 24, flooded cell battery and be prepared to replace it every 2-3 years. The factory chargers on the Rockwood Signature Ultralight are not very sophisticated, which is why I swapped mine out on my 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8280WS.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    No different than trolling motor batteries.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKW View Post
    If your on-board charger is bone stock, I wouldn't bother to replace the batteries with anything fancy like golf cart batteries, lithium, or an AGM. Pick up a bargain buy, group 24, flooded cell battery and be prepared to replace it every 2-3 years. The factory chargers on the Rockwood Signature Ultralight are not very sophisticated, which is why I swapped mine out on my 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8280WS.
    I have a 2008 8296SS. What charger did you go with? It seems as if the one I have doesn’t keep the batteries charged. Do you keep your camper plugged in at home? TIA

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 84rickygreen View Post
    I have a 2008 8296SS. What charger did you go with? It seems as if the one I have doesn’t keep the batteries charged. Do you keep your camper plugged in at home? TIA
    As you probably know, your trailer has a single device that performs two functions; it supplies DC current to your trailer and it charges your battery bank. This device is called a power converter. I replaced my old power converter with the 9200 series made by Progressive Dynamics located HERE.. The 9200 series comes in four sizes, based on the DC current level provided by unit. Match the amp output to the amp output of your old power converter. Your 8296SS has a 55 amp power converter. The 60 amp model is what you need. It took me about an hour to make the swap. I always leave my RV plugged in at home. It's worked flawlessly for over 20 years, first in my old RV and now in the present RV.

If I recall correctly, your power converter (just like mine) is located in the space under your refrigerator, behind the fuse panel. If you decide you want to do this, I can walk you through it, provide pics etc.
    Last edited by RKW; 06-17-2021 at 01:50 PM.

8. Member
    After going with Lithium with the new trolling motor battery, I’m sold on them. They can be pricey, but considering the weight, and especially the higher voltage, they work much better than the lead batteries.

9. Member
    Lithium is great until they get cold, then not so much. You can buy new batteries and a Iota charger and be done with it for 5 years. If where you use your camper never gets below 30 degrees or so you are good. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

10. Member
    Wallmart Everstart group 29 or 27

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Lithium is great until they get cold, then not so much. You can buy new batteries and a Iota charger and be done with it for 5 years. If where you use your camper never gets below 30 degrees or so you are good. CJ
    The lithium batteries actually lose much less of their capacity in cold weather than lead acid batteries do. And discharging them in cold weather is OK. It’s charging them below freezing that’s a problem, if, they are not setup for it.

Keep in mind, if they’re in your camper and it’s too cold to charge them, then you’re water lines are frozen. But if you do need to charge them below freezing, you just get one of the heating pads. They only take 50 watts or so. Even on solar, that should be manageable. You don’t need to keep them warm, just above freezing.