Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Here are a few photos of a Ruby-throated Hummingbird feeding.

Attachment 454538

Attachment 454539

Attachment 454540

2. Member
    We have them here at the house. They are very territorial when it comes to the feeder. They take turns guarding it and chasing each other away. We run through about 3/4's of a gallon every 6 or 7 days here. The funny thing is we can fill two feeders and they still feed about the same amount, they prefer one of the feeders over the other. I'm going to try and move one of them to the other side of the porch and see if that evens things up.

3. Member
    We have two on back porch and two on the front porch and they still fight. As you mentioned they are very territorial. But watch the females after they are feeding their young, they no longer will take the crap from the males

Very nice photos Curt! In fact they are great, wings are stopped and not blurred, like mine. I have looked (not real hard) for their nests and have never been able to find them.
    In fact ours are late this year and only had 2 males till last week when a couple of more females showed up.
    Can I ask what camera you are using and settings? Just a hobby for me but all these new fangled electronics really mess with us ol folks.
    Just got a Canon 5D Mark IV first of the year,

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

4. Member
    Thanks Ed!
    I used a Canon R5 with an EF 600 f4L IS lens on a tripod for these shots.
    Settings were f4.5, 1/3200, ISO 400
    This hummingbird nest has become quite an attraction.
    York County Parks has wrapped the surrounding nest area with caution tape to keep onlookers at a distance.
    The little guy is getting big and will soon need to leave the nest in the next few days.
    Here's a photo from yesterday.

Attachment 454910

5. Member
    Great pics, Curt!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    Great pics, Curt!!
    Thanks Adam!

7. Member
    Thanks for the info. Might help with my Canon Mark IV. Sample of my photos are one that is titled UP Close

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

Excellent pic..........extremely hard to focus on that bird with all the surrounding tree branches and get the wings stopped. Thats a really tough shot to get......congrats. Very cool to see the nest. I didnt know they made nests like that.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    Excellent pic..........extremely hard to focus on that bird with all the surrounding tree branches and get the wings stopped. Thats a really tough shot to get......congrats. Very cool to see the nest. I didnt know they made nests like that.
    Thank you! This was the first hummingbird nest I have found. While I was away on vacation last week the little one fledged so the nest is now vacant. I have learned that another hummingbird nest has been seen in a park in Harrisburg, Pa...so I plan to make the trip this week.