Is there a such thing as to much set back?

Not a bass boat but a pad hull center console. Boat is a Majek Xtreme 22' with a 250 Sho. Currenlty run a 10" Bob's hydraulic plate but am wanting to move to a 12" or 14" cause I need more set back for the power pole bracket to clear the swim ladder. Just curious as to what kind of performance changes happen when you start adding setback? Does it effect holeshot, handling, speed or anything like that?

2. Member
    Any time you move/change the location of the motor it's going to affect all the things you mentioned. Each hull is different so there's really only one way to find out, install the new jack plate. My guess is holeshot and speed would be the most affected with handling being the least affected.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

3. Pat Goff
    Absolutely can have too much setback. Why? As your boat moves through the water, it creates a swell behind the back edge. You want your prop running at the top or just before the apex of the swell, NEVER behind it.

I don't know what too much is on your Majek, but you can put 2" spacers between the plate and motor and give it a go. No need to replace your whole plate.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

Also the farther you set the motor back the higher the nose will sit at rest which can affect trolling motors and possibly cause it to come out of the water when fishing rough water, and also the lower the ass will sit at rest.

5. Member
    It can cause too much stress on the transom. If it's the Skeeter you have listed, 12" is not an issue. New ones come with 12" . You will get more backwash.
    For every inch your motor goes back, you will need to come up roughly half an inch. The swell listed above changes with speed, the faster you go, the further behind the boat that swell is. And the b pad location and shape affect the swell.

6. Member
    ok great thank you for these responses. This is exactly what I needed. Looks like I will just get some spacers and try it. Worst case it doesnt work and I sell them.

7. Pat Goff
    Most of these guys have no clue what your Majek is.
    You will probably see a bit slower holeshot, with a bit more bow rise.
    You may see a mph gain in speed.
    It probably will feel a little sloppier in turns.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

8. Member
    Thank you Pat. I kinda figured they wouldn't know about a majek but the guys on the saltwater boards dont know near as much about setting up a pad hull so I kinda figured my chances would be better here. It looks like I was right cause you showed up and now I know.