Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1000 islands trip

Heading to Clayton area mid June. What stage will the fish be in?

TIA!

If I wasn't lost, I'd surely know where I was going!

2. Member
    1st question: Are you going before June 19th?

and to respond to your post expect them to be in spawn-post spawn with most of the fish already post spawn. It’s been a very warm spring/early summer and it seems all of the lakes are 2-3 weeks ahead of where they normally are
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Planning on arriving on the 20th and staying for the week.

4. Member
    Bass opens up on the 19th and there’s no catch and release season so that’s why I was asking haha a lot of out of staters and deon state guys get tickets for fishing before the date opens.

you should be in post spawn by then, the BPT guys will be up there then and fishing June 25th so you should see quite a few of them either practicing or during the event. Also just stay on the US side, the border is still closed and the Canadian border patrol watch the water pretty good.
    1995 Ranger 481v

5. Member
    How far down is the water in the Clayton area? I have heard anywhere from 2-4' depending on location. My assumption would be cooler temps as you get to the lake but the same degree of low water throughout the whole system. Some areas may be very skinny to navigate through and with the low levels, spots that usually produce may be deprived on numbers of fish. Fish spawn there from mid-May through late June but I think most are probably close to if not done by now is water temps are higher and flows are lower. Best wishes on the water!

6. Member
    Spawn to post spawn. We went last year one week after bass open and still caught the tail end of the spawn. This year we're getting there a day early to start scouting areas, so opening morning we can get after it. I know it has been warmer than usual, and very low on rain. Hoping they aren't too far out of the spawn, but if they are we will just have to adapt. Great fishing either way.

7. Member
    Is June 19th the open date for every year, or does it vary?
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Bass opens up on the 19th and there’s no catch and release season so that’s why I was asking haha a lot of out of staters and deon state guys get tickets for fishing before the date opens.

you should be in post spawn by then, the BPT guys will be up there then and fishing June 25th so you should see quite a few of them either practicing or during the event. Also just stay on the US side, the border is still closed and the Canadian border patrol watch the water pretty good.

8. Member
    Bass season in NY opens the third Saturday in June. Canada just changed their regulations so their smallmouth season opens on the first Saturday in July if your on the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    Is June 19th the open date for every year, or does it vary?

9. Member
    Bass should be all over the place. Shallow, deep, spawning etc. Pick your shot. As of now Canada is a nono. Bring a spare prop.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

10. Member
    Thanks! I carry a spare prop in the boat at all times. I wasn't plannining on fishing canadian waters so I'm good there also! This place seems to have my number though...Haven't really figured it out.

11. Member
    It’s not as easy as pros make it seem, it’ll humble you more times than not. Even the guys who fish up there a lot struggle especially last year. Take a look through some past BFL results and you’ll see that 75% of the field are getting 12-15lb limits and a lot don’t even get 5 to the weigh in. It’s usually the same 15 guys always near the top because they spend a ton of time fishing it.

I’ve never been great up there either, I think it’s cause I’m always forcing a deeper dropshot bite when there’s a ton of fish on flats and in the shallows. but when In doubt hit some of the bays for largemouth and it’ll keep you busy.
    1995 Ranger 481v

12. Member
    We went to Alexandria Bay one year when the wind was up and caught a ton of LM. But I live near two great LM fisheries Potomac and Upper Bay and really just try and catch SM when we are up in NY.

13. Member
    Rule #1- when you arrive order pizza. Rule #2- sit in cheap plastic chair, drink beer and watch the river go by... rule#3- repeat rule #2 frequently...
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smith64a View Post
    Thanks! I carry a spare prop in the boat at all times. I wasn't plannining on fishing canadian waters so I'm good there also! This place seems to have my number though...Haven't really figured it out.
    We've been on them really good the last 2 years. Obviously everyday isn't amazing, but we've had some killer times. We'll be there at the same time, we're staying in A Bay. Feel free to message me and we can trade tips/techniques if you want.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Bass should be all over the place. Shallow, deep, spawning etc. Pick your shot. As of now Canada is a nono. Bring a spare prop.
    You are right on point in your entire statement, especially about bringing a spare prop and hub kit. This is the type of yr the you wish you could run a cheap aluminium prop so your lower unit don't take a hit.
    Our neighbor runs a Bass Buggy pontoon boat that messed up his bottom and prop fishing in Chippewa bay same waters he has fished for 40 yrs. He said there is stuff that he has never seen before.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smith64a View Post
    Heading to Clayton area mid June. What stage will the fish be in?

TIA!
    Due to the weather, water level and temps, bass will be all over the place. Weedlines are already established, and there is shoals everywhere that were not before, so approach any unfamiliar area from channel side.
    Eagle wing Group and Calumet/Governors islands, Flynn bay area islands heading toward lake will be good.
    Pine island, Round island area, Thousand island Park/Fishers Landing heading East toward A bay.

Any of the shoals inbetween will be productive on fish that are post spawn or hanging on the points. Be aware that Fishers Landing is like a minefield with shoals, so go slow and use your TM.
    Tight lines to you.
    Last edited by digthemup; 06-11-2021 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling

17. Member
    I dont know what graphs your running but with my Humminbirds I can set my water level offset and use lakemaster and it is very very accurate. Gives you a little more confidence when moving around. I dont fish the bays much when I go up there but there is plenty of area to run from place to place out on the main river. The river will not fish any better or worse than normal but the depths and technique might be slightly different. The last 2 years have been phenomenal with almost every day being a 50+ fish day.

18. Member
    I have fished The River since 1974, yet I will approach all my fishing areas as if I was sizing up a diamond back. My first wife, God rest her soul, was the one that introduced me to The River back in many days ago, and though the marriage didn't last, I used to thank her for it many a times for introducing to the greatest love of my life, The River. We had a place on Theresa St back in the days when Clayton was a crapper, but it was couple hundred feets from the launch ramp, so it was great.

I have seen water levels go up and down all those yrs, but I quite don't reckon this low unless it was winter drawdown.

Be well and be safe.

19. Member
    Thank you fir the information! I’ve never had 50 fish days there�� thats awesome results.

20. Member
    With the water being low..... What would be the best ramp to use if fishing Chaumont Bay?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast