Thread: GLS-10 Power

GLS-10 Power

Is it ok to power off the GLS-10 black box with a power switch? some computer systems don't like power off switches - they have a specific power off process. I have my box switched so I can turn it on when i need it. would like to know the proper way to power it down and if killing the power via switch is hard on it? thanks.

2. Member
    I put mine on a separate power switch also. Garmin installation manual shows a switch in there installation picture. I have mine on a separate pole and don't want it powered up and overheating when it is not in the water.

3. Member
    Garmin said that it is ok to power off with a switch....

4. Member
    Is GLS 10 always powered on if you do not have your units turned on?

5. Member
    I understand the switch Garmin recommends is to stop the residual battery drain the GLS10 has with units off.
    Like sitting in the garage.
    The GLS10 does not turn on until livescope is being used.
    I use the sonar transmit on-off feature every time I raise my troll motor which stops the GLS10 from transmitting and transducer pinging.
    That way it stops searching for the bottom and transducer does not overheat in summer while running down the lake.

6. Member
    It’s my understanding that a switched circuit is fine, maybe preferable, for the GLS10. I have mine, along with oxygenator and bow units, on a battery cutoff in the battery compartment. I turn it on when launching the boat and turn it off when loading up. It’s worked well so far.