Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cover when trailering?

Just picked up my new boat and since it was raining out we threw the cover on at the dealer. Got home and it’s got two rub marks on the side. Not happy.
    So two questions.
    1. What’s the best way to get the scuff marks out?
    2. Do most of you not put the cover on when trailering?

Taking it to the lake house in a couple days and chance of rain is high. Not comfortable putting the cover on again while taking it down to the lake.
    Thanks for any input.

2. Member
    Assuming the scuff marks aren’t deep I use a soft bristled brush and basically any cleaner you prefer. I almost never trailer with the cover on, except once a year we take a long trip north and end up with some gear in the boat. Even if it rains I don’t really worry about it.

Don't know what boat or cover it is but get a ratchet cover. The ones with a hundred straps are not that good. If you will continue to use the cover with a lot of straps, twist the straps before you buckle them. This will prevent the flapping from the wind while traveling. The ratchet covers are the best I've seen & most will prevent any chafing. If this is a ratchet cover, you don't have it on right. I travel with my cover on, regardless of the weather. My Ranger cover cover is the ratchet type and works as it should. I had a Dowco a few years back (ratchet) and it worked great also. Just an opinion, nothing else.

This has been discussed 100’s of times on here.

1. if it isn’t a custom made cover for YOUR boat only—- Personally I wouldn’t tow with it on.

As far as guys telling everyone all covers will leave marks on the gel coat—- They are misinformed.

I always used my custom made cover on long distance tows, or bad weather.

After 20 years there isn’t any marks

Drove 200 miles in this. Okoboji Rally a few years ago, woke up to snow Sunday morning.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoore View Post
    Assuming the scuff marks aren’t deep I use a soft bristled brush and basically any cleaner you prefer. I almost never trailer with the cover on, except once a year we take a long trip north and end up with some gear in the boat. Even if it rains I don’t really worry about it.
    thank you

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Don't know what boat or cover it is but get a ratchet cover. The ones with a hundred straps are not that good. If you will continue to use the cover with a lot of straps, twist the straps before you buckle them. This will prevent the flapping from the wind while traveling. The ratchet covers are the best I've seen & most will prevent any chafing. If this is a ratchet cover, you don't have it on right. I travel with my cover on, regardless of the weather. My Ranger cover cover is the ratchet type and works as it should. I had a Dowco a few years back (ratchet) and it worked great also. Just an opinion, nothing else.
    It is a brand new ratchet cover. Dealer put it on before I left, showed me how while he was doing it and basically said just make sure it’s pretty tight??

Only ones I've seen that won't scuff are hand built for that EXACT boat, have multiple tie downs plus ratchet straps and have a soft side material where boat contact is made.. Even then it's possible to have a wear spot or two.
    The quality of the boat finish also has a LOT to do with scuffing. Due to gov't chemical restrictions IMO these newer boats don't have near the durable finish..

9. Member
    Having towed bassboats all over the country for more than 45 years, and living in the Pacific Northwest where it rains and snows, I have made a science out of learning to tow with the cover on. Before doing so I have found gravel from chip seal surfacing and once even a lit cigar inside my boat after towing.

As you have been told, the cover should fit well, have felt or soft material at all the contact points with the boat, and you must install it so it fits tightly. Ratcheting strap around the perimeter is best, and any tie downs that go around the trailer frame or boat hull you should put a twist in the strap as you go around the frame, and again back up to the buckle. The twist keeps the strap from planing at high speed, preventing it from vibrating the cover against the fiberglass and frame.

If I am going to travel across country and not remove the cover for multiple days, I may stretch some Saran Wrap over each rear corner of the hull for added protection; but this is not necessary if you check and tighten straps each day.

Most importantly, the part that causes most people to fail, is dirt management. I always wipe down my boat (I use Lucas Oil Slick Mist but others work as well) just before installing the cover. The point is to remove the dirt before it can act as sandpaper and damage the gel coat. Just as important is to keep you boat cover clean. Once you let dirt get into the felt padding or cover itself, it will make the cover abrasive to the gel coat. When I remove the cover I fold it over itself down the centerline of the boat so the dirty side only contacts the dirty side. Then I fold it lengthwise again, then I roll it from the transom to the bow, and then put it in the back of my car or another clean location.

Keep your boat and cover clean, install it tight with twists in the straps, use a ratcheting strap around the perimeter to keep air from getting under the cover, and you boat will stay like new. May sound OCD to a lot of people, but no matter how long I keep a boat when I decide to sell it people can't believe it isn't brand new.
    ciao,
    Marc

10. Member
    I use the ratchet Triton cover that came with my boat. Recently took a 600+ mile round trip towing my boat with the cover on with no damage to gel coat or cover. I did tighten it pretty tight though.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Having towed bassboats all over the country for more than 45 years, and living in the Pacific Northwest where it rains and snows, I have made a science out of learning to tow with the cover on. Before doing so I have found gravel from chip seal surfacing and once even a lit cigar inside my boat after towing.

As you have been told, the cover should fit well, have felt or soft material at all the contact points with the boat, and you must install it so it fits tightly. Ratcheting strap around the perimeter is best, and any tie downs that go around the trailer frame or boat hull you should put a twist in the strap as you go around the frame, and again back up to the buckle. The twist keeps the strap from planing at high speed, preventing it from vibrating the cover against the fiberglass and frame.

If I am going to travel across country and not remove the cover for multiple days, I may stretch some Saran Wrap over each rear corner of the hull for added protection; but this is not necessary if you check and tighten straps each day.

Most importantly, the part that causes most people to fail, is dirt management. I always wipe down my boat (I use Lucas Oil Slick Mist but others work as well) just before installing the cover. The point is to remove the dirt before it can act as sandpaper and damage the gel coat. Just as important is to keep you boat cover clean. Once you let dirt get into the felt padding or cover itself, it will make the cover abrasive to the gel coat. When I remove the cover I fold it over itself down the centerline of the boat so the dirty side only contacts the dirty side. Then I fold it lengthwise again, then I roll it from the transom to the bow, and then put it in the back of my car or another clean location.

Keep your boat and cover clean, install it tight with twists in the straps, use a ratcheting strap around the perimeter to keep air from getting under the cover, and you boat will stay like new. May sound OCD to a lot of people, but no matter how long I keep a boat when I decide to sell it people can't believe it isn't brand new.

Exactly.....and yes a custom cover is best. Unfortunately, everyone cannot afford a custom cover just like a lot of people can't afford a $75000 boat either. Use the best cover your budget will allow. My cover is the Ranger ratchet cover & to me this cover is custom made for my boat. My boat is an '05 Z21 and the finish on it is as good as a new one. The gelcoat on mine is a slick as one on the showroom floor and just a shiny. My cover has never left a mark on it. Bassman Ia has a great looking cover & you can tell it is a custom cover. I only cover my boat on a long trip or inclement weather. The closet lake to me is 1 1/2 to 2 hours away and half of that is interstate.

12. Member
    Maybe cover wasn’t tight enough when I left the dealer?? But now I’m kind of gun-shy about putting the cover on tomorrow night to trailer to the lake.

Take some pics with the cover on & post them........a picture is worth a thousand words

Quote Originally Posted by jsr View Post
    Maybe cover wasn’t tight enough when I left the dealer?? But now I’m kind of gun-shy about putting the cover on tomorrow night to trailer to the lake.
    How far is the lake? I fish a lot at 3 lakes that are 95 miles away, I don’t cover the boat going over, I do have the cover folded and stored under my hard lid. Clean your boat up and lay down a couple good coats of wax before you use the cover again.

One thing as a temporary fix if the marks are not to wide would be to tape up where the rub marks were so they don't get any worse on you next trip
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    How far is the lake? I fish a lot at 3 lakes that are 95 miles away, I don’t cover the boat going over, I do have the cover folded and stored under my hard lid. Clean your boat up and lay down a couple good coats of wax before you use the cover again.
    Lake is about 3 hours 45 minute door to door. Maybe 4 since I’ll probably slow it down with the trailer this trip.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Take some pics with the cover on & post them........a picture is worth a thousand words
    Here is a pic leaving the dealership. Could post more pics next time I cover.

0618AA02-A33B-49D1-BB7C-9CF1C2B3F999.jpeg

IMO----------- that cover will rub no mater how tight you crank those ratchet straps.
    Way to much air space to catch wind.. Compare it to Bassman Ia..

19. Member
    Ok here’s what I’ve done the past 30 years towing with covers on and no scuff or run marks at all,, get a roll of plastic wrap yes the kitchen type I use Walmart’s heavy duty brand ,, start at the bow and rub one solid sheet back to the transom and I’ll run 2 more layers next to each other the point being if it’s covers in wrap and covered by any style cover there will be no marks and I also cover the windshield and trolling motor housing , after wrapping everything the top cap area than put your cover on secure it and go fishing stop and re tighten the cover and you will be very happy and so will your boat when you arrive unwrap it,, throw the plastic away go catch a 10 pounder Repeat for the trip home
    Work Work Work no pay no play USA #1

20. Member
    Use plastic as above has said but go to lowes there where the packing boxes are they have plastic in large rolls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast