1999 Optimax 200 belt tensioner failure

01515D2F-CCA8-44F4-BD38-ADF8FB02EE29.jpegBCA06C65-22E8-4408-A51C-315368093429.jpeg46A83289-16A0-445A-B91E-D1BDED0D1374.jpegEng s/n 0G843442. The retaining bolt for the belt tensioner backed off causing belt to run off the lower edge of the pulley and generated a good amount of rubber “dust” particles. I replaced the tensioner pulley & belt and also removed the air handler and reeds, and cleaned all of the debris I could find from the handler/reeds and everywhere on the motor and interior of the hood & cowlings. I ran a compression test and top four cylinders were about 115 with 5 & 6 coming in at 110. I’m 85 miles from the nearest Mercury dealership so I used the shift handle to run the oil prime procedure. Yeah I know that also put it in a 4-hour break-in cycle but I have a new set of NGK plugs ready to install afterwards. While reinstalling the tensioner, I noticed that the plastic spacer bushing protrudes about 3/16” past the bronze center hub that the retaining bolt passes through ( see attached picture.)When I torqued the bolt, the entire tensioner was basically locked down and could not pivot.. I checked the manual to see if I had misplaced or lost a spacer but what I have matches the factory service manual and parts catalog. If I backed the retaining bolt off maybe 60-70 degrees, the spring-loaded tensioner could turn freely... but then that bolt wasn’t torqued to specs. I ran it on the water muffs and it ran & sounded good, so I decided to take the boat out for a short test run with the bolt “semi-loose.” It jumped up on plane and ran well for 15 minutes so I ran it at idle trolling for maybe 10 minutes. Shut off for several hours and trolled with the kicker. Fired up the big motor for a short run back to the dock and it was a real pig coming out of the hole and getting on plane. Normally can run about 50 mph loaded but wouldn’t get past 35 now. Perhaps being in the break-in cycle fouled the plugs already but it wasn’t really misfiring....just ran like a 90-horse motor instead of a 200. I also saw the check engine light had came on it stayed on solid with no beep tones. Killed the engine and started it up again, and the light came back on within 3 seconds.

Took the hood back off today and found the loose tensioner retaining bolt had already backed off about 1 round (no surprise there) but the belt was still on all of the pulleys. Inspected the air handler, VST box, etc. to make sure I hadn’t left any wires or hoses loose; everything was intact up front. Per the service manual, engine lamp with no beep could be the coolant temp sensor (maybe):MAP sensor, air temp sensor, ignition coils,or injectors. The wiring connections and tubing for these components had not been disturbed in the initial repair and all of the connections and wires looked ok.

so 2 questions: 1) what could have gone wrong with the tensioner? it worked before the bolt backed out, like if I put a ratchet in the square hole and pulled on it, it pivoted against spring pressure and the spring promptly pulled it back tightly on the belt. All of the parts shown in the manuals are there and it looks like there is only one way you can install the spring correctly.

2) I’m not certain I found the coolant temp sensor. The wiring diagram shows a single brown/purple stripe wire. I read on another post the sensor is close to the port side thermostat but all I found was a sensor with 2 plain brown wires. Even with low power, I didn’t detect a misfire. Wouldn’t claim it was running great by a long shot but I calso can’t say it was missing like a coil or injector should cause.

Expert assistance would be greatly appreciated.

see pic. The inner plastic spacer “bearing” is longer than the center of the tensioner central pivot, so when the retaining bolt is torqued, the plastic spacer is compressed between the tensioner and the mounting surfaces.
    Last edited by Springcrik; 06-07-2021 at 07:32 PM.

2. Member
    wheres washer btween block and center bushing ???????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    When the retaining bolt backed out, all I found was the spring & spacer. It would make sense if there is supposed to be a thick washer underneath the bronze center bushing but service manual & parts catalog for 0G8434422 doesn’t show one.

4. Member
    bushing may be worn , mine shows no washer either
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Looking into this belt tensioner setup a little deeper, the only way I can make sense of it is if the bronze center bushing p/n 852562 is retained stationary to the top of the block with the spring-loaded tensioner arm p/n 850291T3 pivoting freely on the bushing. The bushing and tensioner arm are stuck together on my engine. Perhaps this is the root of the belt problem. Does anyone on this forum know if the tensioner arm pivots freely on the bronze center bushing in their Optimax?

6. Member
    i may have some parts off one ill look today ,im thinking that bushing pivots on bolt though

7. Member
    Appreciate that Joe. Please let me know what you find

8. Member
    still diggin

9. Member
    no luck mine are all newer style

10. Member
    Thanks for checking Joe. I’ve been out of town working the past 2 weeks. Gonna have a closer look at it this weekend hopefully.

Remove that yellow plastic plug from the center of the flywheel to avoid it ending up in the air handles one day
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

At one time I had a tensioner from one of those kicking around. If you absolutely can't find one, drop me an email at the office and I will check when I get in (and have a few moments).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Update: the parts catalog doesn’t show it but you absolutely must install a small thin spacer or shim underneath the bronze center bushing, or the bushing will clamp down on the tensioner arm every time you torque the retaining bolt. The spacer outer diameter cannot be larger than the OD of the bushing. I used the thinnest 10mm lock washer I could find and it now works correctly. The bushing is stationary and the tensioner arm pivots on it (not on the bolt.)

I found that Mercury redesigned the tensioner to use a 10mm threaded stud and a locknut instead of the bolt on later engines. They also added a grease fitting. I plan to drill & tap the tensioner arm to add a grease fitting to it to keep these two pieces lubricated. I found the tensioner arm had basically seized to the stationary center bushing due to lack of lubrication, and that caused the bushing to start rotating back & forth with the arm. The moving bushing applied rotational torque to the bolt which eventually caused the bolt to back off.