1996 175 J175GLEUC

I posted in the bass boat set up, but may get answers here as well. I have a Johnson 175 on a 1997 hydra sports LS 175 and I’m only getting 52 when going with current on a major, calm river. The jack plate was set way too low, so I raised it up today. However, I am looking for any other advice you guys can give me to get better speed and hole shot out of this combo. I’m guessing I should be getting a lot more speed out of this motor and boat beings it’s only rated for a 150. 52 mph just seems way too slow.

I was also getting horrible fuel mileage. Probably went about 9 miles and used 14 gallons of fuel. Seems like trash to me.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    i have a 1997 219F with E175GLEUE its 19',3'' x 91'' and been tuning my set-up recently and for now 55mph at 5500rpm so best yet for me with a 23 trophy+ at 4,25 PTP great hole shot and acceleration , speed is pretty good i think for my set up i have a 21/2'' plate
    what is your boat ? and setup and motor in good shape ?

3. Member
    Motor is in great shape, just rebuilt the lower unit. Appears to have had the power head rebuilt recently as well. Never seen a motor as clean as this one. It’s on a 1997 hydra sport LS175. Only getting 52 mph and horrible gas mileage is concerning though. I just picked it up a few weeks ago and just noticed the motor was sitting all the way down in the jack plate. So, i raised the motor and hoping to get some more information so get better mileage and more speed.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Set the prop to pad at 3.5" and tweak from there.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Also check your throttle roller and make sure the clear sleeve is still in place and not missing. They will crumble over time and fall off, leaving just the black plastic roller and leaving a gap between the cam follower and the throttle roller.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Also check your throttle roller and make sure the clear sleeve is still in place and not missing. They will crumble over time and fall off, leaving just the black plastic roller and leaving a gap between the cam follower and the throttle roller.
    On my way to the river now. I'll check back in with how it does. Thanks for the information.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Went to the river today. Got g er r up to 56mph at about 5k RPMs. Definitely on the right track though.

8. Member
    How do you know the engine is running on all 6 cylinders?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    How do you know the engine is running on all 6 cylinders?
    well, I don’t �� I would think that if it wasn’t running on all 6 cylinders, it wouldn’t start up so easy. Never had a boat fire up as easily as this one does.

10. Member
    I’m just saying’. My experience with the lack of rpm as you described can be related to a weak cylinder. Maybe go in to the basics and make sure the power is all there. Compression, fuel, spark???