1997 hydra sport issues

I have a 1997 hydra sport LS175 with a 1996 Johnson 175hp motor on it. It has a jack plate and the motor was sitting about 6.5” below pad. We brought it up today to 4.5” below pad and didn’t get to take it out yet.

I was only getting about 52 mph at full throttle and really think this combo should get more speed for sure. Any tips to help get the most out of this motor and boat?

2. Member
    After you run it the first time make any other changes in 1/2" increments. Moving it as much as you did you may have passed the sweet spot and not even know it. You're still pretty low so I would suspect that moving it higher might help. Also you didn't say what RPM's you were turning so you need to find the spot where you're close to the top of the RPM range while getting the best top speed. Also, keep an eye on your water pressure gauge. You don't want to go too high and starve the engine from cooling water.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

3. Member
    I'll be honest, I'm not 100% convinced my tac works. It shows 2400 all the time until I gas it, then it goes up more.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYRANGERMAN View Post
    After you run it the first time make any other changes in 1/2" increments. Moving it as much as you did you may have passed the sweet spot and not even know it. You're still pretty low so I would suspect that moving it higher might help. Also you didn't say what RPM's you were turning so you need to find the spot where you're close to the top of the RPM range while getting the best top speed. Also, keep an eye on your water pressure gauge. You don't want to go too high and starve the engine from cooling water.

The tac does work, getting about 5k max at 56mph.

5. Member
    If I remember correctly WOT on these engines was around 5700-5800 RPM's. Sounds like you could go up some more on your P to P height. Again, make the changes in smaller increments. Once you go past the sweet spot drop back down to the previous setting and you should be good.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."