Kentucky lake newbe

The wife and I are renting a place in Hardin on the lake and I have never been to this lake before , I'm strictly a catch and release bass guy from Indiana , looking for some tips and tricks for this lake. Any good spots that anyone wants to share would be appreciated. If not I totally understand , I'm definitely not a bass angler by any means, just looking for a few nice fish to land and give back, thanks guys.

2. Member
    Should be on ledges but not the mega schools of old bass scattered out more I think

3. Member
    cool I will check it out, thanks.

4. Member
    I assume you're launching around Johnathan creek? If so there are some very productive ledges around the mouth of it. If you have mapping then follow the main channel of Johnathan creek out. Graph for fish on the top and along the sides of any sharp break line from a flat or point that extends into the creek channel. Also gragh any ditches in this area as well. An extremely productive community hole is located where the Johnathan creek channel enters the Tennessee river channel. With the rain coming in there ought to be a current pushing through the 68 causeway, this can setup the fish in that area and put them in a feeding mood.

We'll be heading down Tuesday or Wednesday. If you see a silver and black Triton with red pinstripes feel free to stop and say hi.

5. Member
    roger, I'm not coming down till the 20th , I sure would have stopped ya and said hey. thanks for the tips.

6. Member
    We're coming back just a few days before you head down. I'll be sure to post what I find here to give you an idea.

If you just want to stay shallow and fun fish then throwing a weightless whacky rigged watermelon seed sinko around and under docks is always a viable option this time of year. Focus your cast around deeper docks with spud poles.

7. Member
    sound good man thanks, good luck

8. Member
    How's the fishing going??

9. Member
    Just got back from a 10 day trip. The 1st few days there were some large mayfly/willow fly hatches. We jumped bay to bay and point to point throwing small crankbaits and ned rigs. We ended up between 12 and 14 lbs a day doing this. Caught several nice smallmouth in the 2.5-3 lb range and many more short ones as well. Likely 20-30 fish days.

After the bulk of the mayflies were done we looked on the ledges for 2 days. We were able to find some isolated schools at the mouths of the bays but only could get a few to commit. We weren't able to find anything on the main lake ledges yet.

The last few days we've focused our efforts off chunk rock and riprap points in 12-15 foot of water. Particularly choke points in bridges and main lake points on the south side of the bays. Wednesday morning we set on the downstream side of the Johnathan Creek bridge and caught 17 lbs (best 5) including a 4.78 smallmouth which gave us the best day of the trip. The other days we were able to average around 13-14 lbs a day catching 10-15 keepers a day usually anchored by a couple good smallmouth caught on crankbaits on main lake points.

10. Member
    sounds good thanks for the update, headed down sunday morning, you sound like you know more of what your doing g than I do. lol but I'll give her a whirl. thanks