Trout Fishing Question

Hey guys
    I’m leaving for Breckinridge Co on Monday. Family reunion for my wife’s family. We rented a house. Blue River is close. I’m going to fish for fun in the mornings. I read the Colorado Regs but don’t really know the boundaries at all. As best I can decipher it’s artificial only and catch and release on certain parts. Which is fine I’m just out there to have fun. I’m packing an ultra lite and lite rod with 2000 spinning reels with 4 lb flouro. I have some Kastmaster spoons, rooster tails, ultra light spinner baits, marabou jigs, and trout size swim baits.

Any and all advice about regs is appreciated. It’s been 40 years since I waded a trout stream.

2. Member
    Stop in a local fly shop spend a few bucks and you'll get all the info you need
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Stop in a local fly shop spend a few bucks and you'll get all the info you need
    I plan on buy my license there

4. Member
    I find trout to be stupid and pretty easy to catch. Must be why people fly fish for them. Makes it harder.

I think the gear you are bringing is totally fine and will work.

I grew up wading streams for trout. I catch them somewhat regularly hear in Colorado as bycatch while bass fishing.

Now I can get into throwing jerk baits for big trout. That is just fun.

Ultra lite gear with 4lb mono or flouro. Grab some small split shot sinkers, Berkley Gulp Minnows in Black Shad, small treble hooks and a “Baiting Needle.” I use either size 8, 10 or 12 for the treble hooks. All this should cost $15.00 or so. Tie your line to the needle then go down the mouth of the gulp and out where the butt would be. Cut the line and tie on a treble. Now, Pull the line back through the gulp so the shank of the treble is buried in the gulp. Use enough split shot to keep the gulp just off the bottom. This will depend on the current and depth.

I grew up fishing this “minnow rig” with real minnows and is killer for trout. The gulp minnows are a good artificial substitute as well. Cast up stream and across the current. Keep reeling to keep gulp flashing and keeping the line tight. The gulp will probably go down stream from you and that is ok.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 06-11-2021 at 12:20 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s