Thread: Help with Prop

Question Help with Prop

I have a new Ranger Comanche 518 L, 13 hours on the New Pro XS 200 Mercury, Just broke in by the book. The prop I am running now is a Fury 22P and I am doing good to get 52 MPH at 5200 RPM. This Motor RPM range is 5600 to 6200 and I can't even get close? One mechanic told me to take it back to Cabela's something wrong with the motor. Another mechanic told me to drop to the 17 or 18 pitch prop as I can gain 200 RPM for every inch of pitch decrease and this would put me where I need to be? The boat comes out of the hole very well and gets to speed fast but then that's it. 52 mph at 5200 RPM? Boat has manual Set back that measures 3 7/8 Pad to prop so the height is good. I just think the altitude here on the high plains of TX is the problem. I'm at around 3000 Ft. The Cabela's I bought the boat from is in Allen TX with much lower altitude and the boat would probably run great there or at Lake Fork. Mercury Prop Selector says to use Tempest Plus 19 or Fury Four 24, So any ideas before I spend another $700 or more on a prop? Thanks

Welcome to the BBC, lots of great people on here.
    Have you run it on a lake near the dealership. I wonder if you are getting hull throttle.
    I have a 2S that doesn't see that much of a RPM drop when at higher elevations.

3. Member
    No I'm eight hours from the dealer. I plan on going to East TX this fall and will swing by there for sure but really wanted some input so maybe I can take care of the problem myself, Not much confidence in Cabelas's boat shop mechanics They are tired of me already, Not much service after the sale in the big stores these days, Thank you for the reply!

4. Member
    That prop should be fine. I would check for full throttle. Do you have a hot foot? Oh, and looks like there's something off on your input in the selector. You shouldn't get that big a range in pitches.

5. Member
    Full Throttle is 5600 -6200 All I can get is 5200. Yes I do have a hot foot but thought it was ok as it comes out of the hole fine and hits 5200 fast and then it is like it hits a wall? Talked to Cabela's boat shop forman yesterday and he said to try some other props, did not offer any though! Also have an Lowrance 12 Live dash mounted not working right and that is not going well either! Think twice before buying a new boat from the big stores, I should have gone through a dealer but everyone was out of boats at the time because of the covid-19. Live and learn. And the Mercury Marine Prop selector is what I used to find what prop was recommended for my area, I'll check it out again. Thanks for your input PMantle, Been driving Ranger Bass boats for thirty years and never seen one do this, LOL

It is not your prop, find good mercury certified tech to straighten it out
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    OK Thanks Lpugh

8. Member
    Boat is in OKLA City Cabela's, Checked out the Hot Foot yesterday and it shows 100%, No engine fault's and and everything checked out OK? Was sure it was the Hot Foot? They said it is pointing to a prop issue now so guess we will go that rout now and see what comes up! had the Hot Foot removed and replaced with plain old hand throttle control, did not like the Hot Foot anyway, So we will see what happens now! These guys in OKLA City are trying their best to help me out and going out of the way to help me get the bugs worked out of this boat. If you need service in this area it would be well worth checking them out. They have the best reviews I have seen on any Cabela's so far, Thanks for all the suggestions and if anyone has any more ideas or comments I would appreciate it.

9. Member
    Cabela's in OK City called today and said boat is ready! They took it to the lake and found the trim was set much too low by Ranger or some one else during build. Set trim to default settings and run up to 5700 rpm at 62 MPH so this had to be the problem all along. I thought trim was alright but this digital setting stuff is beyond me? Now this was in OK City area where altitude is 1200 ft. and I am at 3000 ft. here in the TX Panhandle, I read where the new 200 XS Pro self adjust for altitude I believe, anyone know that for sure. I forget to ask the mechanic and try to remember when we pick up the boat this weekend! Motor to prop setting is right on and everything should be fine they told me so we shall see Been one thing after the other since day one but hoping that we are getting all the bugs worked out, My wife says this one is a money pit and beginning to agree with her. But the guys in OK City Cabela's are treating me right on this one. Thanks everyone for the ideas and input on this problem and will keep you all advised how it turns out!

10. Member
    I live in OKC and the mechanics at Cabela’s have always treated me well too. I’m sure they stay covered up this time of year. I’m glad they got you fixed up.

try raising the motor 1/4 inch at a time to find the sweet spot for max speed and best handling, if changing props repeat height tuning as every props requires different settings
    Now that the main problem is cleared up try a 22 bravo FS should get the rpm to 5900 and a unreal hole shot
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-29-2021 at 11:08 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Member
    Thank you lpugh for the suggestions, Have my boat back from OKC and waiting for a nice day to get it on the water and see what happens. Lake tested in OKC by the Merc. Tech. at Cabela's and he got 62 MPH at 5700 RPM on a rough water day. Said it would do more but water was too rough to keep it going up! Can't wait, Thanks again!

13. Member
    OK Put the boat on the water yesterday. 60 mph @ 5500 RPM. Happy with the speed but would still like to turn at least 5800 room's That big 200 Pro XS should do that easy without loosing any speed. Are you still thinking 22 Bravo FS Lough?

14. Member
    RPM I Ment

Quote Originally Posted by JVP View Post
    OK Put the boat on the water yesterday. 60 mph @ 5500 RPM. Happy with the speed but would still like to turn at least 5800 room's That big 200 Pro XS should do that easy without loosing any speed. Are you still thinking 22 Bravo FS Lough?
    Yes sir I am. 22 Fury would be fine under 1500 ft, A 22 bravo will get you a couple hundred more RPM and be much better suited for 3000 ft, will drive like a dream, have far better hole shot and acceleration, will probably be slightly slower than a comparable Fury, Will also carry heavy loads much better
    Thank You Leon Pugh

16. Member
    OK Thanks lpugh, I will be saving my money for the Bravo 22 and talking with the prop people, My hole shot is amazing now about three seconds so I am mostly trying to get the RPM'S up in the full throttle range. 5600 - 6200. These four strokes are a different motor than anything I have ever seen, Thanks again for your help!