2004 HPDI 225 hp, thoughts

I know what you read on the web is mostly only negative reviews but this motor seems the worse. One mechanic on YouTube likened it to a grenade with the pin pulled. Seems to be a lot of trouble with gas delivery and filters. I know it is 17 years old and what today's sellers asking over NADA it could mean a giant risk. Any motor that age could pop at anytime but it seems some years more than others. Thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Like so many other things, the internet makes the negatives seem so much worse than they really are. My guess is that more VZ big block owners have had good luck with their motors than the owners that have had bad luck. Luck at times being what one makes it.

The VZ big blocks are not for everyone. Possibly a thoroughbred that many cannot handle.

Are you asking about a particular VZ225TLRC? If so, has the power head ever had to be replaced?

3. Member
    3.3 l aren’t worth the risk when it blows are you willing to sink 5,6 or7 grand into it and no telling how long it will last. To much risk for me. To much upkeep also

4. Member
    Thanks, that is the consensus on line.