2018 19trx Patriot trailer squeaks like crazy

I have a 2018 Triton 19trx Patriot that squeaks a lot. Any suggestions?

Grease all your shackle pins or replace them with the greasable type that have external fittings like I did
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Member
    I’ll try greasing them first. Thank you for the info. I looked at those Dexter fittings and they look sweet. Did you install them yourself or have somebody else do them? Was the boat on the trailer when they were installed?

4. Member
    I don't have a Triton but there has been several of us change out the shackles and bolts on our Nitro tandem trailers to a Dexter kit K71-652-00. It has a cushioned shackle and wet bolts for the spring attachments. Really quiets things down and enhances the ride. I don't know how to do a link but there is a thread on the Nitro forum "New 2021 Z18 tandem trailer noisy" with a lot of good information. I did mine last week and it was a bit of a chore but even with my limited experience and older age I think I did a good job. I did it with the boat on the trailer and hooked to my truck for extra safety. I think it would be easier with the boat off the trailer but using jack stands and wood blocks I was able to get all 4 wheels off the ground. You might have to verify the Dexter kit would work for your trailer but I think it is pretty generic for trailers with 33 inch spacing between the axles.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

5. Member
    Thank you for the information!

I did mine, very easy, boat still on the trailer, just do 1 at a time and hack the axle up to take the load off
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

7. Member
    Do you mean jack up the trailer frame, the axle or both?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 19trx Patriot View Post
    Do you mean jack up the trailer frame, the axle or both?
    I jacked mine up in 4 places on the frame, in front of the axles close to a cross member and at the rear close to the cross member. You need to get the wheels completely off the ground so they are hanging freely. You want the pressure off the axles but you will want to put a floor jack under the axle you are working on to keep it from moving when you start taking out the original bolts. I used 2 jacks to help maneuver the axles and line up the bolt holes. Most have found it easier to do the front and rear spring hangers first and the equalizer last. You will want a good c clamp as the hangers may try to spread when you unbolt the spring. If they do spread it makes it difficult to get the new bolts back in.

I used some 6X6 blocks as my jack stands were not tall enough to get the wheels off the ground. I was fortunate as a friend is building a house and had a bunch of cut off ends from his porch posts. I started with 3 blocks under each jack point which was still not enough. To get to the height I need I used pieces of 2X4 on top of the blocks. I lifted the frame at each point enough to get a piece of 2X4 under it until I had the wheels off the ground. I would work my way around the lift points doing one 2X4 at a time as I was trying not to put too much stress on the frame.

There are a few videos showing how to install the kit. I watched the one on Etrailer which was helpful. When I finished I had a shackle on each side hanging in the wrong position. The video shows how to get it back in the right position which was easy to do.
    Last edited by jtrac; 06-09-2021 at 08:52 AM.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119