Question Mercury 4 stroke pro xs

I have a 2018 Ranger 520c with a 250 Mercury ProXS. This engine seems to have a high pitched whine which becomes really noticeable around 4 grand.Has anyone experienced this problem other than me?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This question should be in the 4-stroke Forum (I will move it for you).

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Yes, my 250 pro xs has the same noise but so far no problems have surfaced as a result of this noise.

Never noticed with mine.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I’m fairly sure there has been similar previous posts, comments where around some intake type noises at certain rpm’s. You may need to do a little searching on here to find it
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

6. Member
    I have a Ranger Z521c with a 250 ProXS 4s on an Atlas Jackplate. I think I have the same noise on mine. And I think it is coming from the area around the jack plate. Mine also happens at ~ 4000 rpm. It goes away above or below. I added a cover plate to my jacks plate, and I’ve attributed it to wind forced up through there. I can change the whistle with the trim and the jackplate. Interestingly, it kinda sounds like the whine of a supercharged motor?
    Bryan O' Z521-250ProXS V8
    Total Recreation Products Inc.
    Commercial Park and Playground Equipment
    totalrecreation.net

7. Member
    I hate that sound. I was thinking it was coming from the air intake. I started noticing this about 2 months ago. I wish l knew where to start with a solution. What puzzles me is why it has not been doing this from day 1.

8. Member
    I have this same sound on occasion. I have a 2021 250 pro xs. Doesn't happen every trip out and also in a limited rpm range. My engine currently has 112hrs but the whine has been there since 30 hrs. Cold water or warm it's the same. Cold ambient air or warm it's the same. My first thought on the sound is an alternator whine or belt whine. Very sporadic tho. Engine runs well otherwise. Next time it happens I will try to get some more info around rpm range , water temp and psi, and any other conditions. Anyone else have this? Are you concerned or just gonna live with it?
    2021 Ranger 620FS
    2021 Merc 250 Pro XS; s/n 3B057438
    MK Ulterra 112

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Guys- ONE engine per post, and please provide serial number in Post#1. Further information in the Announcements at the top of the Forum.

For those of you mentioning Atlas Jackplates, have you re-torqued all hardware between the two halves of the jackplate? JUST as important as the engine mounting hardware.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    thanks for the info don....will start a new thread for any new issues
    2021 Ranger 620FS
    2021 Merc 250 Pro XS; s/n 3B057438
    MK Ulterra 112

11. Member
    Did anyone ever figure it out? Exactly what mine is doing now.