“Extra” safety hook for boat winch strap

Hi I switched out my winch and the new strap does not have the
    additional safety hook (the old strap had one stitched in a loop on the strap. Any suggestions for putting on an
    extra hook for safety?

2. Member
    Mine is attached to the post, not on the winch. Seems silly to put the safety strap on the winch strap, kind of defeats the purpose of the safety if the strap fails. Mind is a chain, not sure if it is bolted or the attachment is welded on the post.

You can add a safety Chain to the Bow Post and then hook it on the Bow Eye, or to the Strap Hook. I added one to mine when I replaced the Wench Strap.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    Same issue. My strap was in good shape so I just used the old strap on the new winch.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

Let's face it, if you are in an accident and the boat decides to exit the trailer your little safety strap ain't gonna stop it. But that said I hook mine up anyway.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    Mine is attached to the post, not on the winch. Seems silly to put the safety strap on the winch strap, kind of defeats the purpose of the safety if the strap fails. Mind is a chain, not sure if it is bolted or the attachment is welded on the post.
    Rangers were like that and although it was stitched to the main strap, it still had separate hooks for bow eye and trailer. In reality the attachment was for convenience and not really for functionality.