New battery charge?

Will a brand new off the shelf deep cycle battery have a good full charge on it? Throwing together an unexpected weekend trip... my boat is small, 25hp, 12v trolling motor... I run fine 3/4 day or better on my 1 group 29 everstart trolling battery.. (25hp and fish finder/gps on its own battery).

I’m gonna do an overnighter couple hours from home... not planning to get a hotel room, tight budget.. I’m fine sleeping in my truck, done it plenty, different subject...

not being able to charge my trolling battery overnight will hurt my next day fishing.. if I stop on my way out and buy a brand new battery to bring for my second day, will it be a full charge? I’ll bring my charger and a cord and maybe I can find a place to plug in but if I can’t, I can swap batteries..

i know car size batteries are usually charged and ready to go when new, not sure about deep cycles...

or is this a dumb question?

I guess I could skip the new $100 battery and get a hotel room but it would really only be to charge my battery.. (I could always use a new battery and use my current battery for the pond boat)

2. Banned
    Should be charged, all the ones I have bought have been.

3. Member
    What about jumper cables and use your truck? Use a launder mat 110 receptacle and your charger to charge if possible.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Generally they are not fully charged when you buy them. They can sit on the shelf for months.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Generally they are not fully charged when you buy them. They can sit on the shelf for months.
    Yep

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

You could just pull the battery on your truck, install the new one you buy, and then drive to destination. It will be charged when you get there. Just pull it out and replace with other battery. My dad used to do that all the time.

7. Member
    I'd say you are asking for trouble unless you charge it fully before you use it.

8. Member
    I’ve been told by a guy at auto zone that batteries are typically around 70% off the shelf.

Yeah it would need to be charged because they sit on shelves sometimes for months before you buy them.

If you want another battery, go buy it before you leave and charge it at home. Pretty simple solution.

This is the very reason that buying batteries from chain stores often result in battery brands getting bad reputations. Practically no one charges batteries on the shelf. Any store that does not turn over inventory at least every couple of months results in batteries that begin to sulfate. Sulfation is the killer of most wet cell batteries. So battery brand A is sold in chain stores where they sit on the shelf for 8 months during the winter. They get sold in spring and have sulfated. Battery brand A is just as good as anybody else's brand when they leave the manufacturer, but people don't know that. The manufacturer's choice for authorized dealers results in neglected damaged batteries. So then brand A gets a bad reputation for not being good batteries. So point is, depending on where you buy it, it likely wont be fully charged and may well be a damaged battery unless you buy from a reputable high volume dealer that can tell you the manufacture date of the battery. Batteries have a code on them that tells you that but you have to know the code and every manufacturers codes are different.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 06-05-2021 at 07:31 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IBHUFFY View Post
    You could just pull the battery on your truck, install the new one you buy, and then drive to destination. It will be charged when you get there. Just pull it out and replace with other battery. My dad used to do that all the time.
    A group 29 won’t fit in the battery spot in my truck without modification..

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    If you want another battery, go buy it before you leave and charge it at home. Pretty simple solution.
    yes, that’s the logical solution.. I posted this last night, and was leaving this morning... (no time to get a new battery and charge overnight). Bad weather has changed my plans..

14. Member
    Everything you buy with a battery says to fully charge it when you first get it.