fish suspended offshore in shad in summer?

We're talking suspended fish in 20 to 25 feet of water in shad. What do you do to try to catch them when it gets really tough on highland reservoirs in summer?

Spotted bass on the Coosa river will do that. They will suspend around bait fish over 15-25 foot deep humps with 50+ foot water off the hump. I will spend the day traveling from way point to way point hitting these humps with heavy 3/4 and 1 oz lipless crankbaits on long casts. When I find an active location I will slow down and cover it well. I will count down the lure before beginning retrieval and adjust retrieval speed to find what gets the lure down where they are. Other lures I use for this are 3/4 oz white swimjigs with boot tail trailers and 1/2 oz Damiki Vault blades cast and retrieved like lipless crankbaits or vertical jigged directly over the humps.

3. Member
    Flutter spoon.

4. Member
    deep jerk bait!!! lc xd series, kvd 300 deep or megabass 110+1 and 110+2
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Spotted bass on the Coosa river will do that. They will suspend around bait fish over 15-25 foot deep humps with 50+ foot water off the hump. I will spend the day traveling from way point to way point hitting these humps with heavy 3/4 and 1 oz lipless crankbaits on long casts. When I find an active location I will slow down and cover it well. I will count down the lure before beginning retrieval and adjust retrieval speed to find what gets the lure down where they are. Other lures I use for this are 3/4 oz white swimjigs with boot tail trailers and 1/2 oz Damiki Vault blades cast and retrieved like lipless crankbaits or vertical jigged directly over the humps.
    No humps or anything just wide open water in shad. Thanks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladr6 View Post
    Flutter spoon.
    How slow a fall would a person need when doing this? Would you want it to have a very slow fall for maximium time falling through the bait school? Thanks

7. Member
    On Table Rock a couple things we'll do is drop shot and count down swimbaits.
    1998 Champion 203
    1998 Mercury 225
    Minn Kota Ultrex, 10" Helix MSI+ G4N, 10" Helix MDI+ G4N
    "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1

Keitech - I'll throw a 3.3 on a 1/4 oz head, or a 3.8 on a 3/8 oz head. Count it down, slow roll it with pauses.

9. Member
    Meant to say 20 to 25 feet deep in 50 or more feet of water if that makes any difference. Thanks

Drop shot will work too, the guides on Tale Rock will use a marker and put a mark every 10 feet so they know where there lure is at when fishing vertically. You can cast the drop shot too, don't put a lot of weight on it so it sinks relatively slowly through the fish, you'll get bites on the fall.

11. Member
    Thanks guys.

12. Member
    Wacky rigged 6 in stick baits. Use a weighted wacky hook.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    Wacky rigged 6 in stick baits. Use a weighted wacky hook.
    What would be a good weight size to do it from 15 to 25 feet & not take forever to get down or is that what you want in this case?