Thread: Tough decision

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tough decision

Vexus 1880 or Ranger RT188P? Budget will allow no more $$ after putting a couple of 12" screens and a Ghost trolling motor on it. Vexus seems like a quality boat, definitely a better trailer, but sure like the Ranger layout a little better. Which would you get and why?

2. Member
    Given these 2 choices, for me the Vexus wins out because of these 3 reasons.

Extra reinforcements in transom that are .125 aluminum. I own a 2014 Triton that’s has been repaired twice for small transom cracks. They ended up adding reinforcements to the transom.

Pad hull. Just makes the boat ride better. Easier to mount transducers.

Trailer has Surge brakes and 14” radial tires. Something I had to add on later after realizing my truck brakes were wearing out to fast.
    Last edited by E-rude_Dude; 06-05-2021 at 04:15 AM.

3. Member
    My vote would be for the Vexus, but then again, I'm little biased. ;)
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

4. Banned
    Vexus

5. Member
    Turns out not such a tough decision after all as Vexus just made a deal I could not refuse, so we now have one on order. I have wanted a Ranger boat since I was a kid, but in the end I felt like Vexus was a bit better quality wise and I would expect there customer service will be better. I got an opportunity to tour both plants so that was alot of fun. Wife is glad the decision is over and probably a good time, or maybe not, to show her the 2 HDs 12's I bought last week for a good deal!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
    Turns out not such a tough decision after all as Vexus just made a deal I could not refuse, so we now have one on order. I have wanted a Ranger boat since I was a kid, but in the end I felt like Vexus was a bit better quality wise and I would expect there customer service will be better. I got an opportunity to tour both plants so that was alot of fun. Wife is glad the decision is over and probably a good time, or maybe not, to show her the 2 HDs 12's I bought last week for a good deal!
    What Vexus did you get??
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

7. Member
    I feel like both of those boats should be offered with a 150hp motor, but the Vexus seems to be better built to handle it. The 1880 is rated for a 135 hp motor which seems pointless since they don't make a 135hp motor anymore, why not just give it another 15 hp rating? It would still be well within the Goast Guard HP capacity rating.

8. Member
    1880, with the Merc Motor, Ghost trolling motor, tilt wheel as that console is pretty tight. I am wanting to put the adjustable seat on the passenger seat so maybe I can stick a net behind it? Trying to figure out how I am going to mount the 12" up front as it looks tight . Could not see this boat in person, but we did see a 1980 in person.

Customer Service
    When I was buying my boat, most dealers knew what happen to me. They knew I had money in hand and was ready to buy. I will say it to anyone, to the salesmen, to the place where I bought my boat, they were the SORRIEST GROUP of salesman I have ever seen. (The salesman who handled my deal, did not know the bow from the stern, the top from the bottom, the inside from the outside, ....)
    Very glad you went with someone who knows "Customer Service!"
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
    1880, with the Merc Motor, Ghost trolling motor, tilt wheel as that console is pretty tight. I am wanting to put the adjustable seat on the passenger seat so maybe I can stick a net behind it? Trying to figure out how I am going to mount the 12" up front as it looks tight . Could not see this boat in person, but we did see a 1980 in person.
    you will enjoy this boat. Good luck!

Just went through the same thing. I got a smoking deal on a rt 188p, lowrance graphs and ghost trolling motor. Honestly it came down to front deck width and price. The vexus was a sweet boat and I would love to have spent more time looking for a better deal but I was ready to go. Congratulations.
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

12. Member
    Front deck width is almost what got me into the Ranger, but after seeing them sided by side,... it was still a tough choice!

13. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vaw121 View Post
    Just went through the same thing. I got a smoking deal on a rt 188p, lowrance graphs and ghost trolling motor. Honestly it came down to front deck width and price. The vexus was a sweet boat and I would love to have spent more time looking for a better deal but I was ready to go. Congratulations.
    You Sir. are a smart man. Welcome to The Brotherhood
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    You Sir. are a smart man. Welcome to The Brotherhood
    You forgot to tell him......best boat out there with the trolling motor down.

15. Member
    I would certainly look at the Vexus before buying a new one.

I would even go a find a Crestliner dealer to look at as well.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

16. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    You forgot to tell him......best boat out there with the trolling motor down.
    That goes without saying...
    Unless you are TtritonBTO what-ever-his-name-is, then it needs explained o'er and o'er.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    Vexus
    this ^

18. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    If you want to look pretty and have a trailer Queen then Vexus is your huckleberry.
    If you want to look bad a$$ and catch fish like Mechanic Bob, tcesni and I, then you have made the right choice, Young Jedi...
    Last edited by King_Fish; 06-17-2021 at 08:07 AM.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I will be fishing with a friend out of his new Vexus 1880 the next two days, looking forward to seeing how it fishes compared to my RT188 that has given me nothing but good fishing 12 months of the year since 2014.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Spent two days in the Vexus, definitely a nice boat and the rear storage is a plus for sure. Also a better trailer then what Ranger is supplying these days. Gets narrow up front but a bit wider at the cockpit than the 188p. I’ve not been in a 188p so I can’t provide a comparison to that model.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast